how do i change my aquatic turtles' tank? (PLEASE HELP!)

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
That being said, Mark, do you check nitrates in your unplanted tanks?
no Ethan i just assume a lack of algae means nitrates are not to high , if i start to see excessive algae i know there's a problem ......... i had one unplanted tank over the winter , it was temporary . it doesn't work without plants , if you don't have plants you'll get algae , and do need partial water changes .......as far as dumbing it down , i think learning starts by not understanding ......... Markw had a post describing his filtration , and he talked about rooting plants in your filter , there are lots of plants that will grow with just their roots in water ............ i kept 7 blandings turtles in the house over the winter and one wood turtle , that one wood turtle kept in a bin with a water dish was way more work than those 7 blandings kept in a 75 gallon fully cycled tank ............

here's a nitrogen cycle diagram that is about as simple as your gonna get . water changes can be , for the most part , replaced with plants ....... the plants in my basement pond easily suck up 15-20 gallons of water a week , if not more

nitrates%20and%20nitrites.jpg

ethan508

Location (City and/or State)
Northern Utah
The attached png shows a basic setup (not mine). If using a single light use a mercury vapor bulb (MVB) as it will provide both heat and UVB. There is also a guide from Pets Mart that is decent, but if you haunt the forums you'll probably find better information and more specific information for the exact species you are caring for.

Simple aquatic turtle setup.png

Last edited by a moderator: