How do I help Louie eat?

Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
Hi! Louie is a Russian Tortoise, so he is small. When he eats, he has trouble reaching his food, so I have to feed him. This makes me nervous, because when I'm away, he can't feed himself. His food dish isn't the best, because my brother made it for him when he got him. Should I elevate his food so he doesn't have to reach down? Is there a recommended food dish that I use so it's easier for him to eat?
Thanks!

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Because tortoises are locked into a rigid shell, they have a hard time negotiating the lips of ordinary feeding dishes. Dishes with sides are also a fall-and-flip hazard.

Anything flat and textured works best for ground-pounders. They can get some grip with their toes and they get some filing of their beak surface.

So a large landscaping tile (stepping stone) or piece of slate.

Or the saucer from a terra cotta pot.

Whatever you choose, it needs to be pushed down into the bedding so that your tort can walk across it, both to get to the food and to exit.

Denver, Colorado
Because tortoises are locked into a rigid shell, they have a hard time negotiating the lips of ordinary feeding dishes. Dishes with sides are also a fall-and-flip hazard.

Anything flat and textured works best for ground-pounders. They can get some grip with their toes and they get some filing of their beak surface.

So a large landscaping tile (stepping stone) or piece of slate.

Or the saucer from a terra cotta pot.

Whatever you choose, it needs to be pushed down into the bedding so that your tort can walk across it, both to get to the food and to exit.
Thank you so much! I'm sure Louie says thank you as well :)