How do I know when my lawn is safe to eat?

parsley

Location (City and/or State)
Hello everyone. I have a quick question. I moved into my house about a year ago and have not used any chemicals or fertilizers in my lawn the whole time I've lived here. I do not know if the previous owner used anything or if my neighbors do. My question is, is it safe to let my leopard out to graze, or do I have to wait longer for any residual chemicals to be completely out of the grass? Thank you so much.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings and welcome to the Forum. One full year with no ferts or pesticides, id say you are good. In a years time you have had enough growth, weather etc to rid your grass of harmful stuff in the edible grass. @Tom might have thoughts as well, but a year seems good. Welcome.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is probably okay after a year. I would only do this in an enclosure. Not just loose in the yard.

parsley

Thank you for your replies. I haven't had a chance to build him an enclosure outside yet, but I would only let him out while I am out and able to see him until I do. I' sure he will be happy to get some natural sunshine and fresh grass.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you for your replies. I haven't had a chance to build him an enclosure outside yet, but I would only let him out while I am out and able to see him until I do. I' sure he will be happy to get some natural sunshine and fresh grass.
Don't take your eye off him if he is still small. They can blend in really well and you will freak out trying to find him. If he is small a couple cheap ideas for temp enclosure. Kiddy pool with some of the bottom cut out to allow being on the grass. Same with a plastic tote box. Even a clothes basket turned upside down will give a little one room to roam and placed in right place sun will still get in through the sides.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I once lost a beautiful 15 lbs female leopard during a "supervised" watch many years ago when I was a kid. I ran in the house and got distracted by the Indians game that was on. My dad and I searched til sundown and never found her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One thing to keep in mind: Once a tortoise has seen the "outside world" he's never happy again to be contained in an enclosure. It's best if you don't allow him free roaming in the yard until there are walls to contain him. Then he knows his boundaries and is content to live inside them. If he's allowed free roaming, then when you DO build him a pen, he's going to keep trying to climb the walls to escape.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I once lost a beautiful 15 lbs female leopard during a "supervised" watch many years ago when I was a kid. I ran in the house and got distracted by the Indians game that was on. My dad and I searched til sundown and never found her.
That is so tough! I guess we all have some of those stories in our lives.