How do I show my tortoise love?

Alice Perkins

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I really love our tortoise, but I feel like it doesn't feel that way. I know tortoises are usually just in their enclosure, then get taken out for soaking or being in the sun, but besides that, we can't do much else with it. We'd take it out, but it can stress it out and it'll have a potty accident. We have two cats who we mainly spend time with, and I feel almost as if we're neglecting the tortoise. Not with the basic needs. Just more emotionally, and I want to connect with it more so it feels loved. Is there anything I can do to bond with my tortoise or help it know we still love and care about it, even after getting the cars? I know it seems silly, but we really love them and want them to know that! (Sorry for the constant pronoun change, they're still young and the gender is unknown)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I really love our tortoise, but I feel like it doesn't feel that way. I know tortoises are usually just in their enclosure, then get taken out for soaking or being in the sun, but besides that, we can't do much else with it. We'd take it out, but it can stress it out and it'll have a potty accident. We have two cats who we mainly spend time with, and I feel almost as if we're neglecting the tortoise. Not with the basic needs. Just more emotionally, and I want to connect with it more so it feels loved. Is there anything I can do to bond with my tortoise or help it know we still love and care about it, even after getting the cars? I know it seems silly, but we really love them and want them to know that! (Sorry for the constant pronoun change, they're still young and the gender is unknown)
Love is a human emotion. That's not how reptiles function. Look up the work "anthropomorphism".

What you can do to show your love for the tortoise is spend the time, money and effort to give it the best foods and the best enclosures possible. Hand feeding will often desensitize them to your presence and usually make them want to come toward you. Many tortoises are curious and seem interested in what the people around them are doing as they get older.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Tortoise are solo creatures, the best love is time, correct setup, good diet, good temperatures, substrate and environment for health growth. I always felt I ran around for my tortoise, inside, outside, deep cleans, soaks, daily food etc...... but over time they know you are the provider and now he runs over when I am near, I find that rewarding. I also know he is healthy, happy and strong so it is win win. They are not like cats on your lap or dogs running around. Reptile care is very different.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Tortoises are solitary creatures. Not pack animals. That's sometimes hard to comprehend. But in the end...If you love your tortoise and therefor you spend a lot of time making sure that all of his or her needs are met, it's just going to be beneficial for both of you.
What you get out of the relationship will vary. But I see no reason to not love your tortoise. It's a win-win.

OliveW

Branford, FL
Show your tortoise love by giving it the best possible quality of life. Just like you would any creature.

I don't think it stresses out our tortoise at all to take him out of his enclosure. My husband and I take him on two walks per day, about one hour each. He really enjoys that and I can tell he looks forward to it. At first I did question if taking him out walking was going to be a bad thing, as opposed to just letting him get used to his enclosure.

I can most definitely tell the difference between a stressed or happy animal, and my boy is extremely happy to go walking. It doesn't matter if he has a potty accident, he's outside. Of course if you have treated your lawn with any kind of chemicals, that's a complete NO-GO.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
We all love our tortoises but our love is or should be the best kind - unconditional. They don't have to show you that they love you too. Your cats are mammals like you and show you their love for their own benefit, but a reptile is not made like us or our cats and dogs. No need to feel guilty if you express your love by giving them the best care that you know is right for that species!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
When I met my male RF, Julio, he was living In a ten gallon aquarium on pine shavings and literally eating some Iceberg and tomatoes off of a Whopper from Burger King.
Now he lives like the king of tortoise world but I'm sure he'd trade me for a single mango or handful of Mazuri.
And that's fine with me.
I understand our relationship

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
When I met my male RF, Julio, he was living In a ten gallon aquarium on pine shavings and literally eating some Iceberg and tomatoes off of a Whopper from Burger King.
Now he lives like the king of tortoise world but I'm sure he'd trade me for a single mango or handful of Mazuri.
And that's fine with me.
I understand our relationship
Haha! What a story of Redemption and Triumph over Adversity! So very true also about me and my iguana who actively hates me after 20 years of my love.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I show my tortoises love by giving them what they need, not what I need.

This has been one of the gifts that living with tortoises has given me... a clearer understanding of the responsibilities of relationship.

They need proper environmental conditions, appropriate food, space, and peace and quiet.

They don't need my demonstrative love; in fact, it's in many cases harmful to them... I take some pride in serving the needs of my tortoises without letting my needs get in the way.

One of the Russians I live with attacks me every time I go near his enclosure, but I demonstrate my love for Chili by keeping his home clean, his water bowl clean and topped off, and his belly full with the best foods for his health.

Another of the Russians I live with, Persephone, comes over when I'm doing stuff in her enclosure, and seems to seek out, and enjoy, scratches on her shell and neck and head; so I give them to her.

Jamie

zolasmum

5 Year Member
We have a Hermann's tortoise, who is now 22 years old. We had him from a baby,but he didn't have a good start in life,and wasn't very well. We mostly hand fed him, to ensure he got food and moisture - he gradually got much better and stronger, but I do think the hand feeding help him bond with us more. He is basically our "family" and we discovered he liked going out in the car, sitting on my lap, and looking at the sea, which is only a few miles away.
Give your little one time - stroke or brush him when he is soaking, hand-feed him sometimes -sit with him to get used to your company. It's mostly a question of trust, really. He will feel that love in time, even if he can't really respond very much.He probably isn't aware of your cats as rivals.
Angie