How do i take care of my Russian tortoise

Tortoise76

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
So i had my Russian tortoise for about 3 years now and i thought i was doing quite well on taking care of him. Now i'm not sure because he has been getting swollen eyes. He has a 100w UVA bulb, his substrate is loose coconut fiber from the bag. It doesn't have anything else mixed in with it. I feed him leafy greens like collard greens and mustard greens and give him squash with occasional carrots. He doesn't have a hiding place at the moment because he is now to big for his old one. Is there anything i should change or add to make sure he is fine.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Curious.... do you have a bulb that emits UVB as well? If not, you really should invest in one. UVB is what torts use for Vitamin D absorption.

Tortoise76

Florida
Curious.... do you have a bulb that emits UVB as well? If not, you really should invest in one. UVB is what torts use for Vitamin D absorption.

I in fact do not i only have the one i guess i should get one then. Also my tort keeps getting in his water then getting his substrate all over him then gets back in the water making there tons of stuff in his water. Is there any way to prevent this?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I in fact do not i only have the one i guess i should get one then. Also my tort keeps getting in his water then getting his substrate all over him then gets back in the water making there tons of stuff in his water. Is there any way to prevent this?
Tortoises are messy. That's just a fact of life. I'll tell you what though.... if you come up with a way to prevent getting stuff in their water, let me know. I'll invest in your idea and help you market it! lol

But yeah... get that UVB lamp ASAP!!! As for his hide, get creative and build one for him. Lots of fun!

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Are you using coiled bulb? We need to know what your temps are, warm side basking, night temps and cool side. A picture of your tort and enclosure, etc. What size is your enclosure? We have a Russian tort section. You should go and read the stickies at the top. They will give you the info you need. Come back and ask questions. He also needs more variety in his diet. Please read those stickies and give use the info

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Just the UVB will be all you need. That is what produces the vitamin D3 they need. When you get the UVB lamp, record the first day you use it and set a calendar reminder for 6 months afterwards. They start losing the ability to emit UVB rays after about 6 months, so you will want to replace the bulb.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Just the UVB will be all you need. That is what produces the vitamin D3 they need. When you get the UVB lamp, record the first day you use it and set a calendar reminder for 6 months afterwards. They start losing the ability to emit UVB rays after about 6 months, so you will want to replace the bulb.
More then just uvb lights are needed

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
More then just uvb lights are needed
He wanted to know if he needed a UVB and the UVA lamp. But I agree with you... much more is going to be needed. Hey.. next time I'm in Youngstown I wanna see your babies! Won't be till this spring / early summer though if that would be ok. My best friend lives in Leetonia and I go to visit her a couple of times a year.

Tortoise76

Florida
Idk now exactly all the stuff i have but if you can tell what is recommended i can start from there and that would be great. I do appreciate the help.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
He wanted to know if he needed a UVB and the UVA lamp. But I agree with you... much more is going to be needed. Hey.. next time I'm in Youngstown I wanna see your babies! Won't be till this spring / early summer though if that would be ok. My best friend lives in Leetonia and I go to visit her a couple of times a year.
That would be cool!
I love to show them off!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

Once you’ve got your setup all fixed, your tortoise could use a more varied diet. You’ll find the basics in the Russian care sheet mentioned above.