How do I tell that my 150Lb Sulcata is growing

Kevn Horton

Location (City and/or State)
Tehachapi, ca
when you say feed her hibiscus, do you mean the flowers ?
Grazing is good. Grass and weeds should make up the bulk of her diet. You can add hay, opuntia, grape leaves, hibiscus, roses, etc. Humidity is important. A pond, mud puddle, misters, soaking her, or just spraying her with a hose, all help.
can they be dried or better fresh hibiscus

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If it was male, I think you would have seen a demonstration by now. Have you heard any grunting sounds while your tortoise mounts a rock or a ball?
Most males don't do that, and some never flash.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
did I read right Big Charlie is 18 or so
Shelly is 9- 10 this year according from the lady I got her from her dad raised her from a about

every other day she does get the sprinklers at about 2-3 pm and she seems to love it when grazing on the grass
we do have a 4' kiddy pool for my bull dogs to play in but she cant get in it I have a New clean oil change pan that has fresh drinking water for her.
I will work on the food you suggested

Unless that tortoise was fed dog or cat food, it is very unlikely to be 9 or 10. They just don't grow that fast. Many times people exaggerate, or forget to add years as the years go by. I do this with my dogs sometimes. They will be 5 or six years old for 3 years, and then one day I'll look it up and realize I've been forgetting to add years.

Grass or grass hay should make up the bulk of your tortoises diet. I prefer bermuda or orchard grass hay. Mulberry, grape and hibiscus leaves are great to add in too. I also feed a lot of spineless opuntia pads. You can grow your own, or buy them online or at a Mexican grocery store. During our rainy season here, lots of good weeds pop up too, like mallow. There are many things you can feed. Grocery store produce isn't great for them. Grass and weeds is best.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Most males don't do that, and some never flash.
Charlie stopped for a long time, then for the last few weeks, he has been going at it several times a day. He seems obsessed.

He flashed about a month ago when we had people over, and even my husband thought his insides were falling out!

Kevn Horton

Tehachapi, ca
Unless that tortoise was fed dog or cat food, it is very unlikely to be 9 or 10. They just don't grow that fast. Many times people exaggerate, or forget to add years as the years go by. I do this with my dogs sometimes. They will be 5 or six years old for 3 years, and then one day I'll look it up and realize I've been forgetting to add years.

Grass or grass hay should make up the bulk of your tortoises diet. I prefer bermuda or orchard grass hay. Mulberry, grape and hibiscus leaves are great to add in too. I also feed a lot of spineless opuntia pads. You can grow your own, or buy them online or at a Mexican grocery store. During our rainy season here, lots of good weeds pop up too, like mallow. There are many things you can feed. Grocery store produce isn't great for them. Grass and weeds is best.
well I was told when I got her last year that the owner inherited her from her dad who brought her home in a show box 9 yeas earlier for her 10 year old daughter and her daughter was turning 20 the day I picked her up ( the tortoise dot the daughter)
I tried the opuntia pads but she did not seem interested in them and just left.

Reactions: orv

Kevn Horton

Tehachapi, ca
can anyone tell from these if my baby is male or Female I have been told female by previous owner and the Vet but she is over 150 lbs so that seems quite large for a female

Attachments

• DSCF1928.JPG
    DSCF1928.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 26
  • DSCF1931.JPG
    DSCF1931.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 28
  • DSCF1928.JPG
    DSCF1928.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 27
  • DSCF1932.JPG
    DSCF1932.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 26
  • DSCF1930.JPG
    DSCF1930.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 26
  • DSCF1927.JPG
    DSCF1927.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 27

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
can anyone tell from these if my baby is male or Female I have been told female by previous owner and the Vet but she is over 150 lbs so that seems quite large for a female
I can't see the tail in any of those pictures. Roll him on his side and have someone snap a pic of the tail and anal scutes. Use a flashlight or sunshine for more light so we can see.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
well I was told when I got her last year that the owner inherited her from her dad who brought her home in a show box 9 yeas earlier for her 10 year old daughter and her daughter was turning 20 the day I picked her up ( the tortoise dot the daughter)

Either the years are being exaggerated, someone is fibbing, the tortoise has been fed a steady high protein diet like cat or dog food, or this is a world record fastest growing tortoise ever.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I tried the opuntia pads but she did not seem interested in them and just left.

Almost no tortoise will just walk up and eat new foods the first time it sees them. It usually takes an introduction time. Try cutting the pads up into thin slices and mixing a very small amount of it in with some old favorites. I would feed all of this on a bed of orchard grass hay, and that will eventually get the tortoise eating the hay too.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Almost no tortoise will just walk up and eat new foods the first time it sees them. It usually takes an introduction time. Try cutting the pads up into thin slices and mixing a very small amount of it in with some old favorites. I would feed all of this on a bed of orchard grass hay, and that will eventually get the tortoise eating the hay too.
My tort is an anomaly then[emoji33] he seems willing to try anything at least once... I blame you @Tom.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tort is an anomaly then[emoji33] he seems willing to try anything at least once... I blame you @Tom.
I know you are kidding and I get the inside joke, but yours really is an anomaly. Few people take the time to start them the way I do, and few people take the time to cultivate and grow all the things I grow for them to eat. There really is a difference. You've seen it first hand, but how does your average person know these things? How do they decide where to buy their tortoise? I'm happy that a few people get to see the difference, but I wish more people understood the difference.

Kevn Horton

Tehachapi, ca
as soon as she/he comes out of her house today I will get better photos
I am setting up a water hole under a shade lattice today and have changed the sprinklers on the back grass to come on for 3 min each time 4 times a day to give better humility, I was wondering about the hibiscus not a lot for sale in my area to plant and grow what about buying the leaves dried and then potting in water to make moist or just feeding dry