How do I treat wounds from rat attack

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
Good luck and I wish spider-man a fast recovery. As mentioned keep flys away as last thing you need is eggs and maggots etc.....

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
While it looks terrible and hurts me to see it healthy tortoises are tough and heal some horrendous wounds in nature with no human intervention. Keeping clean, soaking and first aid ointment for sure. I really wonder how you'll keep any bandage on these legs without danger of shutting off circulation? These will heal and will be scarred but you'll just love your baby even more after this. Honestly would seriously consider having a rat proof elevated enclosure after this and remember that Rats can c,limb and also drop down from above.
Please, when healing is done and first aid is ended let us see the healed tortoise so we can celebrate with you.🥰
🤗🤗

Buteosvr

Virginia Beach VA
Last night a rat got into my red footed tortoises enclosure and ate into both his front feet (IM NOT HERE FOR THE I NEED A SAFER ENCLOSURE LECTURE EITHER I KNOW !! My sons are devastated)

However I treated the wounds with a little peroxide and neisporin as that’s all I have on hand …. And there aren’t any vets in my area that can or will take him …. Until I can find one how should I better treat its wounds and make him comfortable PLEASE HELP ME View attachment 349895
Don't use peroxide on the wounds, it actually will delay healing because it destroys tissue.
The tortoise is missing skin and possibly shine muscle, please see an exotic animal veterinarian asap for wound care, antibiotics, and pain management.

Buteosvr

Virginia Beach VA
Don't use peroxide on the wounds, it actually will delay healing because it destroys tissue.
The tortoise is missing skin and possibly shine muscle, please see an exotic animal veterinarian asap for wound care, antibiotics, and pain

The tortoise is missing skin and possibly shine muscle, please see an exotic animal veterinarian asap for wound care, antibiotics, and pain management.
Sorry, I just read your update about bringing him to the vet. Good luck with your baby!!

OliveW

Branford, FL
I have mixed feelings about the fact that I looked at this thread. It will haunt me, but at the same time it's a reminder how important it is to keep my tort safe every single night. I don't know that we have any rats, but I do know that we have racoon.

I'm so very sorry this happened. Sending healing thoughts and prayers for your tort and family. Please keep us up to date on his healing progress.

Hawaii_tortoise

Hawaii
While it looks terrible and hurts me to see it healthy tortoises are tough and heal some horrendous wounds in nature with no human intervention. Keeping clean, soaking and first aid ointment for sure. I really wonder how you'll keep any bandage on these legs without danger of shutting off circulation? These will heal and will be scarred but you'll just love your baby even more after this. Honestly would seriously consider having a rat proof elevated enclosure after this and remember that Rats can c,limb and also drop down from above.
Please, when healing is done and first aid is ended let us see the healed tortoise so we can celebrate with you.🥰
🤗🤗
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE SUPPORT EVERYONE … hoping you all can see thi
🤗🤗
thank you so much and to everyone appreciate your help and concerns…

Spider-Man seems to be healing well and doing good I was gonna post a pic of wounds but it’s breakfast so I’ll wait and just post this pic to show how he’s doing

I also think Spider-Man might be a girl 😅

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7

jeannettep

Texas
I hope for the best! We had a problem when we lived in town & something did a similar thing to my torts. Adult redfoots. Devastating! We were moving to the country and I thought they would be safer in town. We went down & built their new habitat, came home after the weekend & found our 2 in worse shape. We have barn cats patrolling the tortoise yards, everyone is trained to go inside early evening and get locked up. My smaller torts stay mostly indoors. If I suspect intruders to the pen, I use the large sticky traps & put mild taco bell sauce in the middle or leave it open at night for the patrol cats, who leave me a gift laying across the door mat.

newt

ma
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE SUPPORT EVERYONE … hoping you all can see thi

thank you so much and to everyone appreciate your help and concerns…

Spider-Man seems to be healing well and doing good I was gonna post a pic of wounds but it’s breakfast so I’ll wait and just post this pic to show how he’s doing

I also think Spider-Man might be a girl 😅
No worries, she will survive as long as there is no infection. I have seen worse wound by rats. I have seen a red footed with half of both front limbs chewed off by rats but survived fine (and still crawling fast). They are tough animals.

Hawaii_tortoise

Hawaii
Wow. You will have to show us the bite wounds again. The “before” was pretty nasty!

Good news
Sorry for the delay , here Spider-Man is … seems to be doing well the skin here is like a scab but looks to be healing up well I’ll post again soon

Attachments

• EF799FE7-450B-4044-8F8A-83C6ED6999D0.jpeg
    EF799FE7-450B-4044-8F8A-83C6ED6999D0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8