How do we transition our torti from a tank to his new home outdoors?

jmhoesch

5 Year Member
Do we just put him out there when it's ready? Or......do we put him out there for a few hours at a time? Do we still put his old food out there to til he gets used to eating all the grasses, weeds and flowers that are out there now? Do torti's transition well or will he be scared sh**less for a while?

Want to do this in the least traumatic way for him........... his new home...........

DSC03326.JPG

abclements

5 Year Member
My plan for my 2 year old red foot is 1st day out 2 hrs, 2-5 4 hrs, 6-7 6 hrs and then they're good to go all day. Mine still comes in at night no matter what.

I plan on feeding Mazuri 3 times a week outside and let her graze the rest of the time.

He will hide the first few days, maybe even as long as a week or two, but he'll come around and be fine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Insensitive clod that I am, I've never worried about the tortoise's feelings in the matter. I just place the food at the feeding station then plunk the tortoise down in front of the food, going away about my business. Of course, I'll check back throughout the day to be sure all is well, but basically I just uproot them and let them go.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I like the idea of gradually exposing the tort to the new enclosure. I would even move the indoor hides, water container, and other decorative elements to the outdoor enclosure . And I would bring the tort inside for the nights for the first week or longer depending on your predator situation. If you have raccoons, I would always have a predator proof top or bring the tort in at night.

Good luck.

jmhoesch

5 Year Member
We have an enclosed back yard w/ a locked gate. The only "predators" I've seen is the neighbors cat that may occasionally come in the back yard. Since we are in southern AZ, scorpions and snakes are a possibility but I've never seen a snake in our back yard in all the years we've been here.

I like the idea of exposing him a few hours each day and bringing him in at night for the first week or so THEN leaving him out there permanently (at least until the winter, haven't decided if we'll bring him in for the winter or not)

He's as big as my husbands hand. Should I be worried about predators from the air? Like Hawks? I've been in touch w/ a few torti owners in my area that have theirs outside and they haven't been bothered by hawks at all. They all said that he's too big for the birds............

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
That's a BEAUTIFUL tortoise home!!! He's gonna LOVE it!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would put him out during nice weather and gradually increase the time for a few weeks, but still let him sleep indoors.

I don't think that area is large enough to grow enough food to sustain a even a small tortoise, so be prepared to offer additional food.

I see the one pot on its side, but that will heat up like an oven in the sun. Is there and underground bunker of some sort in there for shelter from the blazing AZ heat that is coming?

jmhoesch

5 Year Member
Here's a better picture. Yes, he has a main burrow in the middle facing south so the sun won't get into it. It's "L" shaped made w/ cinder blocks, insulation, concrete and dirt. We plan on putting A LOT more plants in there, so I do think it will sustain him.

DSC03302.JPG DSC03318.JPG

jmhoesch

5 Year Member
Just thought of something. What if, when we put him out there for a few hours and he goes into his burrow and doesn't come out? lol

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Mine sometimes sleeps in her burrow overnight. It's just natural :D
I love that enclosure btw, but I think my sully would trample all those plants :p