How do you do it? Please share your trade secrets

Status
Not open for further replies.

benA

5 Year Member
There was a question last week about what and how to feed Leopards and it got me thinking that one of the reasons I chose Leopards as a pet was that from my research it seemed that once set up feeding was not overly difficult, or expensive. I don't know about you but convienience and expense have a lot to do with the quality of care I am able to provide with any pet. Having to feed fresh food everyday would simply not happen, not in MN, not in my house. I have a hard enough time feeding my own family fresh food, let alone a tortoise. Can you imagine if dogs required fresh food daily? There would be a lot less dogs in the world. This is just my take - more power to all of you who do feed your torts fresh food every day, me? I just had to be honest with myself before I even got into this. I thought I would share what I do for mine with pics of my set up. I would love to hear AND SEE what others are doing to feed their Leopards. I would also welcome feedback (but please be gentle - we're all friends!).

I feed my Leopards mostly Orchard Grass or Timothy Hay with some Mazuri. I buy a bale of hay from Oxbow Hay company but its too long even for my adults. For several years I cut up the grass with scissors, but that was a pain so I bought a wood chipper that I run all the grass through to chop it up. This works GREAT because my adults need no further chopping. I have two tall bins, one filled with chopped hay and one with Mazuri. Each morning I fill a small to medium size mixing bowl with a couple handfulls of hay and small handfull of Mazuri. I add water and soak it for 15 minutes or soak until the hay is saturated. I drain and then for the babies I take out a small chunk with 3-4 marzuri and chop that further on a cutting board. I feed the finely chopped stuff to my babies and the rest to the adults. They love it. I find that they get a good amount of their water intake from it - and I think soaking it brings out the smells which they are naturally drawn to. Of course I supplement with fresh when I can (especially cactus pad) but on a daily basis, this works for me, is easy, cheap, and from what I understand it provides them with the proper core nutritional needs:

Ben

IMG_1357.jpgIMG_1359.jpgIMG_1363.jpgIMG_1364.jpgIMG_1365.jpgIMG_1366.jpgIMG_1367.jpgIMG_1368.jpgIMG_1369.jpgIMG_1372.jpgIMG_1374.jpgIMG_1383.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
I feed mine in a similar fashion. I feed mazuri mixed with whatever is available, grass, clover, dead nettle, plantain (broadleaf and longleaf), grape leaves, mulberry leaves, dandelion, etc...and finely chopped hay (usually botanical)when that stuff is unavailable. When they're grazing, straight mazuri in the AM, and grazing the rest of the day. I use a higher percentage of mazuri than you. My big female (24 lb) gets about 1 1/2 cups (dry) per day. I do use some spring mix and romaine as an admix in the winter for variety, I get a box or two of opuntia in the winter as well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My trade secret is to have all my tortoises in well-planted pens where they can graze and feed themselves. Even the babies are in outdoor pens where they can graze.

benA

5 Year Member
I appreciate your info - thanks, I have wondered about the right amount of Mazuri - they do love it and would eat as much as I gave them it they could. Where do you get your cactus from, and where are you from?

Ben

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I don't see anything bad with what the core is for feeding, I personally would suggest some dandelion, plantain, some hibiscus flowers and leaves, roses and leaves, petunia flowers and leaves (these are cheap plants to purchase and easily maintained) I only suggestion variety is key...if you have some pots a grow light and some space you can whip up a great source of naturally home grown goods....if you spend literally like 10 bucks you can get some good starter plants going....:D

I do not use mazuri (nothing against it I swear, just have not tried it out, neither have my torts...LOL) so I don't know what is in it...but I have to say that I would think it can produce some bacteria (please someone correct me if I am being, well a little girlie) and that white dish you showed in the pic is a little, well it looks like it could use a rinse off.....please please please don't take that as an insult...it truly came from a place of OCD....really. :p

Your torts are beautiful and have great facial expressions...

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I usually buy my cactus from this guy.: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231533&highlight=opuntia Almost no spines at all
I live in northern Ohio, not as bad as where you are, weather wise, but... I get the mazuri at a local feed store (they order it for me) for $29 a bag..
benA said:
I appreciate your info - thanks, I have wondered about the right amount of Mazuri - they do love it and would eat as much as I gave them it they could. Where do you get your cactus from, and where are you from?

Ben

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
emysemys said:
My trade secret is to have all my tortoises in well-planted pens where they can graze and feed themselves. Even the babies are in outdoor pens where they can graze.

:D

benA

5 Year Member
Well, you're probably right about the white dish. It is about 20 years old and I have soaked the tortoise food in it for 8 years. Believe me it gets washed, but 8 years of soaking mauzuri in it will create a stain, but maybe its time to trade it in!

I do feed tons of dandelion, some hibiscus, lots of other stuff from my yard, but the core needs to be hay. The soft leafy stuff they love and need, but not as the base. I have done the indoor planting, but that doesn't work for me. My adults could eat all the leaves off a hibiscus in one siting, so caring for a bunch of plants that provide little food? I gave up on that. Again, great if you can do it, but I need convienience. Mazuri is great. There seems to be an attitude out there that its not good enough for some folks. We feed our dogs dog food, not fresh food - why not our torts. The stuff was made for tortoise care for zoos - can't be that bad!

ascott said:
I don't see anything bad with what the core is for feeding, I personally would suggest some dandelion, plantain, some hibiscus flowers and leaves, roses and leaves, petunia flowers and leaves (these are cheap plants to purchase and easily maintained) I only suggestion variety is key...if you have some pots a grow light and some space you can whip up a great source of naturally home grown goods....if you spend literally like 10 bucks you can get some good starter plants going....:D

I do not use mazuri (nothing against it I swear, just have not tried it out, neither have my torts...LOL) so I don't know what is in it...but I have to say that I would think it can produce some bacteria (please someone correct me if I am being, well a little girlie) and that white dish you showed in the pic is a little, well it looks like it could use a rinse off.....please please please don't take that as an insult...it truly came from a place of OCD....really. :p

Thanks for your comments! Ben

Your torts are beautiful and have great facial expressions...

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Besides Mazuri once a day, I do the same as Yvonne.

Status
Not open for further replies.