How do you do water bowls for your leopards in outdoor enclosure?

Dkozi7

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I have 4 Leos ranging in age from 1y-1.5y and they have been recently been spending some time each day in an outdoor enclosure. Ideas for outdoor watering? Pictures of your set up would be great as well! Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Get correctly sized terra cotta plant saucers and dig a little shallow hole so you can sink them into the substrate so the rim is nearly level with the ground's surface.

Use ever larger terra cotta saucers as they grow. I use 4" ones for hatchlings and replace them with larger diameter ones as the tortoise gains size.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I use clay terra cotta saucers. Always have. I bury them into the dirt just a bit. Now, at his size it's not necessarily for the ease of getting in, rather I've found the water doesn't get as hot or evaporate as quickly as if it just sat flat on top.
It's shaded most of the day and the sprinklers refill it every other day. Every so often I scrub it clean.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have the top of a very large, round evaporative cooler for one of my leopard yards. In the other, I use a large terracotta plant saucer.:

waterer.jpg

(Hm-m-m-m-m looks like someone didn't get fresh water today)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I also use the terra cotta saucers. If you can find the ones that are glazed inside, they stay clean longer and are easier to clean. My leopards are bigger, so mine sits in a spot where the grass is missing and I have a flat flagstone next to it if they need it to get in.

Dkozi7

Georgia
Thanks everyone! That's a perfect idea! I was worried about temp and evaporation but burying it a little would help that!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Once they get larger you can use a water heater overflow pan. Not sure if that's what they actually are called but they are designed to be placed under your water heater in the event it leaks. They come in multiple sizes and depths. And as an added bonus they are inexpensive as all get out!
I use a couple in my larger Sulcatas yard. They're about 2-1/2' across and about 2" deep. They've even got a threaded drain dealio on the side. Mine are buried to just below the rim. This helps with all the crap the ends up inside it. I got mine at Home Depot.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Once they get larger you can use a water heater overflow pan. Not sure if that's what they actually are called but they are designed to be placed under your water heater in the event it leaks. They come in multiple sizes and depths. And as an added bonus they are inexpensive as all get out!
I use a couple in my larger Sulcatas yard. They're about 2-1/2' across and about 2" deep. They've even got a threaded drain dealio on the side. Mine are buried to just below the rim. This helps with all the crap the ends up inside it. I got mine at Home Depot.
These are black, so depending on your environment they may need to be in the shade.

Dkozi7

Georgia
Thank you cowboy! I might need that for my large sulcata in the backyard. I ended finding a plastic planter tray that is brown for the little ones at Home Depot today.

Than you! I have been looking for this information. My Sulcata has outgrown everything! I will go and see if this will work for Madmax

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Dudley's waterer 3-12-14.jpg

This is the lid off a garbage toter.

Document

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My leopards have the top of a round evaporative cooler. It's about 3' across and 2" deep. Plenty big enough for them, and recessed into the ground:

leopard waterer.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Lol! In my case, my old evaporative cooler broke down and I had to buy a new one.

You can look online for things like "boot tray":

landscape-1451409402-zinc-boot-tray-liner.jpg

I have this for my Texas tortoises. Mine is rubber, shallow and plenty big enough for several of them to be in it at the same time.

Lol! In my case, my old evaporative cooler broke down and I had to buy a new one.

You can look online for things like "boot tray":

landscape-1451409402-zinc-boot-tray-liner.jpg

I have this for my Texas tortoises. Mine is rubber, shallow and plenty big enough for several of them to be in it at the same time.
My guy is too wide for that I picked up two different kinds of water heater overflow pans today :)