How do you keep the grass short/certain length in an outdoor fenced enclosure?

leoturt

Location (City and/or State)
Western Canada
For outdoor fenced areas your tortoise can roam around and eat grass in. If theres to much grass for the tortoise to eat, what do people do to keep the grass from growing super tall? use a lawn mower? What about the grass that grows along up the side of the fence walls(and yeah it'll have solid bottom half so tort doesnt see through) ? Those are harder to cut. Do you move the entire outdoor enclosure, then cut the grass?
This will be one the hassles about a fenced outdoor area for my tortoise to roam around whenever it wants, so want to know what others do to easily keep the grass at a good max length. Using a lawnmower would be sort of hard for me..turning it around without much space will be hard. But no way my 2.5 yr old leopard tort will be able to eat all the grass by itself to keep it all from getting very tall

Last edited:

leoturt

Western Canada

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For outdoor fenced areas your tortoise can roam around and eat grass in. If theres to much grass for the tortoise to eat, what do people do to keep the grass from growing super tall? use a lawn mower? What about the grass that grows along up the side of the fence walls(and yeah it'll have solid bottom half so tort doesnt see through) ? Those are harder to cut. Do you move the entire outdoor enclosure, then cut the grass?
This will be one the hassles about a fenced outdoor area for my tortoise to roam around whenever it wants, so want to know what others do to easily keep the grass at a good max length. Using a lawnmower would be sort of hard for me..turning it around without much space will be hard. But no way my 2.5 yr old leopard tort will be able to eat all the grass by itself to keep it all from getting very tall
They like to hide in the tall grass, and the grass around the margins makes them feel secure and also serves as an abrasion barrier against the fencing. I would get a weed whacker and have some fun creating paths through the taller grass. Leave some areas to grow nice and tall for hiding and cover. Your tortoise will likely graze the new grass in the areas you have cut and leave the taller grass alone.

leoturt

Western Canada
They like to hide in the tall grass, and the grass around the margins makes them feel secure and also serves as an abrasion barrier against the fencing. I would get a weed whacker and have some fun creating paths through the taller grass. Leave some areas to grow nice and tall for hiding and cover. Your tortoise will likely graze the new grass in the areas you have cut and leave the taller grass alone.
Those are some excellent points. I normally do leave some tall grass areas around the middle in it's summer outdoor fenced area, but I'll do the rest as you recommend. Thanks very much.