How do you keep the humidity high in Red-foot's enclosure ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keiraliang

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, TX
I have three Red-foot tortoises indoor in the smaller enclosure, and it's pretty cold and dry recently, I notice their head is dry~ especially the red spot on their head is dry. I pour some water in the enclosure and put more sponge moss so the humidity is higher now.

I just want to know how do you keep your indoor enclosure high humidity (50~70)without a cover on it?

Thanks!

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
I have yet to find a way to do it without covering it. Water vapor rises, its a physical law of nature.

I believe folks that manage with open tops have to do it one of two ways. Humidify the entire room or keep the substrate wet and blast it with heat. That way the rising vapors humidify the tort as they go by :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I am having a bit of trouble with humidity, and I am in the process of making a fogger that will run on a timer twice a day to help keep things damp.

I spray my enclosures daily. Covers really do help.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I use lots of plants to hold in the humidity. I water and spray the plants, but try not to wet the substrate too much. I use a screen top and cover the open parts with clear wrapping tape.
001-42.jpg

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
best thing i came up with is a WARM MIST humidifyer. as well as usuing a space heater. i had to keep mine inside cause its too cold out now. i was haveing the same problem. but after getting the warm mist humidifyer and a small oil space heater, i can now keep his room like a sauna! the humidity stays between 70-75 % and the heat is a comfy 80* and warmer under his heat lamp. plus i mist him like 3 times a day and he would get a nice warm bath saok about 3 times a week. its alot of work, but worth it.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
I used to use one of these in my ex tortoises home, it kept the humidity so high that I ended up putting it on a digital timer because it was chugging through so much water that wasn't necessary.
I put it on every hour for half an hour.
097612950151.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Plants, plants and more plants!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There are a lot of options, depending on your specific situation. Our home is kept rather cool, so my mostly covered 48"x20" polycarbonate walled Tortarium is warmed by waterproof cables under the soil, a medium ceramic heat emitter (both on a thermostatic controller) AND a 100w MVB to keep the temps up. The humidity is raised by keeping the warmed soil damp, heavy morning mistings, and 4 live plants.

I find that heat and humidity go hand in hand. For example, misting tends to drop temps, sometimes by as much as 20 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.