How do you maintain BIG aquariums?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Guys and Gals! I MAY be getting the bigger aquarium today! :)
A woman in New Orleans is offering a 55 gal tank, with stand, heater, thermostat, filter, lid and all the fishy accessories for $75.
I know the filter will NOT be sufficient for a turtle, and I'll have to make other changes, but this is the best deal I've seen in several weeks of watching Craigslist. :) The only glitch will be the outer bands from Harvey. We have to cross the Causeway- a 23 mile long bridge- to get into New Orleans, and when the weather is bad enough, they close the Causeway. The other possible glitch is that New Orleans has been having lots of flooding even BEFORE Harvey was on the scene because the city pumps are in poor repair and under-manned.
So it's possible the weather may prevent us going.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@Moozillion Lots of talk about the load your floor can support. From my old construction superintendent days, the live load for a residential home MUST be at least 40 lbs/sq ft for any floor. Now an adult male weighing 200 lbs technically stands on two feet with a "footprint" of about 2 sq ft we stand on. So that does not mean the load is too much for a floor as it is rated based upon how tightly you can reasonable pack people together in a room. So even in a crowd, you will probably have one person taking up about 10 sq ft.

What does that mean for an aquarium? At 12" deep, water is roughly 50 lbs per sq ft. At 18" deep, 75 lbs / sq ft. So if you pack tanks side by side that are 18" deep, you will quickly overload a standard raised wood floor. But a 55 or 75 gal tank with normal room around it is not problem. But that does mean as you get to larger tanks that are 18" or deeper, you definitely need to consider the construction of the floor. No need to worry about a 55 gal at all.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
@Moozillion Lots of talk about the load your floor can support. From my old construction superintendent days, the live load for a residential home MUST be at least 40 lbs/sq ft for any floor. Now an adult male weighing 200 lbs technically stands on two feet with a "footprint" of about 2 sq ft we stand on. So that does not mean the load is too much for a floor as it is rated based upon how tightly you can reasonable pack people together in a room. So even in a crowd, you will probably have one person taking up about 10 sq ft.

What does that mean for an aquarium? At 12" deep, water is roughly 50 lbs per sq ft. At 18" deep, 75 lbs / sq ft. So if you pack tanks side by side that are 18" deep, you will quickly overload a standard raised wood floor. But a 55 or 75 gal tank with normal room around it is not problem. But that does mean as you get to larger tanks that are 18" or deeper, you definitely need to consider the construction of the floor. No need to worry about a 55 gal at all.
Great to know!!! :)Thanks, Mark!
Our house is all ground level. The flooring I was concerned about has wood laminate, and other areas have carpet. BUT the area where the big aquarium will go has ceramic tile. Plus, being for a mud turtle, the tank won't be full.
This is the one I hope to get:

fullsizeoutput_7e9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7e8.jpeg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Since we are now getting rain from Harvey, we won't be able to get the aquarium today. it'll be later in the week or early next week- whenever the weather permits, since we have to drive across a 23 mile long bridge to get into New Orleans, and they often close the bridge when the weather is really bad.
Patience...patience...If it's meant to be it will be. If not, something better will come along. ;)

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Mooz, we are watching the Weather Channel down here in south Florida and see the danger. Be careful!
The tank can wait.
But, watch for neonate turtles around your neighborhood, this was cause a pulse in their activity...

SteveW

Yeah, I support holding off on any Texas travel right now. Yikes. As to your filtration questions, I keep a single 4inch Redcheeked mud in a100 gallon that is heavily planted with anacaris, duck weed, even a couple water hyacinth. I have gone away from my canister filter and just use a simple intank filter, because all the horsepower doesn't seem needed, and the quieter water seems to be preferable.
I do monthly water changes, about 25%, and have had no nitrate issues. But, I have a deep gravel bed, lots of plants, and just one occupant.
I realize you are leaning towards the 55, but a similar approach may be helpful.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Yeah, I support holding off on any Texas travel right now. Yikes. As to your filtration questions, I keep a single 4inch Redcheeked mud in a100 gallon that is heavily planted with anacaris, duck weed, even a couple water hyacinth. I have gone away from my canister filter and just use a simple intank filter, because all the horsepower doesn't seem needed, and the quieter water seems to be preferable.
I do monthly water changes, about 25%, and have had no nitrate issues. But, I have a deep gravel bed, lots of plants, and just one occupant.
I realize you are leaning towards the 55, but a similar approach may be helpful.
Yes, a 100 gal simply would not fit anywhere. I can put the 55 in the same spot the current 20 gal tank is, but just move a table some.

I really want to have some fish in with my turtle when I have the 55. And I want some live plants, too!!! I have a friend with a pretty wild, untamed pond full of all kinds of plants she says I can have!!!:) :) :). But I figure I should grow the plants in a separate tank for a while in case snails or other critters hitched a ride in the plants!!! ::p

I always thought fish are less tolerant of water conditions than turtles- especially a little mud like mine?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Since we are now getting rain from Harvey, we won't be able to get the aquarium today. it'll be later in the week or early next week- whenever the weather permits, since we have to drive across a 23 mile long bridge to get into New Orleans, and they often close the bridge when the weather is really bad.
Patience...patience...If it's meant to be it will be. If not, something better will come along. ;)
I hope you get the tank (when it is safe of course). Looks like a really good deal. I got lucky and found a 40 gallon on sale at petsmart to put my little snapper in. It didn't come with a stand sadly so I have it on a sturdy table.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Yes, a 100 gal simply would not fit anywhere. I can put the 55 in the same spot the current 20 gal tank is, but just move a table some.

I really want to have some fish in with my turtle when I have the 55. And I want some live plants, too!!! I have a friend with a pretty wild, untamed pond full of all kinds of plants she says I can have!!!:) :) :). But I figure I should grow the plants in a separate tank for a while in case snails or other critters hitched a ride in the plants!!! ::p

I always thought fish are less tolerant of water conditions than turtles- especially a little mud like mine?
I wish I could have fish in mine, but the water is too shallow and they would get eaten :(

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
is there a general rule of thumb of whats the minimum volume required per turtle based on size?
for example, for every inch of carapace length, whats the minimum # of gallon required?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Well, I'm not sure how this will turn out. Hubby has extra work this week (which is GOOD), but that means he won't be able to go to see the aquarium with me until Saturday. We need his Honda Pilot to put the tank in, if we get it (and I want someone with me when I go to a strangers' house). The woman has implied it may be sold by then, which I certainly understand. :(
I'm just trying to keep the mind set that if it's meant to be, then it will work out. If it's NOT meant to be, then something better will come alone.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Well, the aquarium was sold before we could get over to see it.
Poop. :(
Oh, well- back to the hunt!!!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
What a bummer! Too bad she wouldn't hold it for you. I'm sure you will find another!!!
Thanks!

I may make arrangements with other friends who have trucks or SUVs for transport when I find another one.
Hubby wasn't really ALL that busy, but kept saying he was too busy to do it. Odd...

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Hi, guys and gals,

I have been keeping my mud turtle in a 20 gal aquarium with fantasies of moving her up to something much bigger and including fish etc.
I am currently talking with a woman who is selling a 100 gal aquarium with stand, and am seriously thinking of getting it.
BUT I've NEVER had such a huge tank!!! I am not at all sure how to manage water changes etc. With Jacques' little 20 gal tank, I just use a bucket and siphon to empty and refill it, but clearly I can't do that with a 100 gal tank!
Any and all suggestions will be appriciated!!! :)

p.s. This potential new tank is 60 in long, 24 in wide and 18 in tall.

Hooe you make the venture if you have the space to do so..its quite easy..purchase a python hose that connects to your faucet...it gives and removes water...they range in left but can go up to 100ft...and for maintenance-fluval fx6 is the most expensive but worth every dollar. I run 3 of them...2 on my 125g tank and a fx4 rated for 250g on my 7tg setup..if you are the building type...you can build a diy cannister filter...the king of diy Anthony on youtube has several videos on how to build one or a sump filter...

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
I agree. Bigger is easier with keeping a good balance in an aquarium. I also like the canister filters. I really like the good job they do and the ease of simply disconnecting and cleaning the filter when it does need to be done - maybe once a month. They are pricy, but I really like Fluvals. Sunsun makes a "clone" that seems good and less expensive, but I haven't tried that one. Water changes should not be necessary. I also use plants to help with the nitrates - which is the only reason for water changes as they will otherwise build up. You can stick a few runners of Pothos Ivy in the tank, running out over the edge and let it go crazy. No dirt, or planted in anything - just dangled in the water. It will grow roots and grow like crazy. Feeds off the nitrates.

Do you have a pic of the plant or your setup?

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
is there a general rule of thumb of whats the minimum volume required per turtle based on size?
for example, for every inch of carapace length, whats the minimum # of gallon required?

10g of water..