How do you make then open their mouth? Or can you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mommy22boys

5 Year Member
My Russian was eating like a pig and drinking like a fish for 3 straight days two days ago. Now he won't eat or drink. He's pooping and peeing though. He just keeps swallowing like there might be something stuck in his throat. He looks at the food and pushes it around while swallowing. This week I've been feeding him mustard greens, collard greens and some sedum oh and one day don't dandelion leaves. He loves the sedum and that's the last thing he ate so I'm wondering if one of the needles got stuck. I don't really want to force his mouth open. I'm afraid of hurting him but I don't want there to be something stuck either.

Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yvonne will be able to tell you. She has an old thread on it. I will try to find it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some sedum is toxic. Are you sure yours is not?

To open their mouth you need to get them to stick their head out and then grab it between the thumb and forefinger. This must be done quickly and decisively. Try tipping the tortoise so its head points to the sky to get them to stick their head out. Once you have hold of the head you can carefully open the mouth by working a Popsicle stick, or something similarly safe, between the jaws.

Mommy22boys

5 Year Member
Thanks Tom.
This is the sedum I have. Is it safe? I haven't given him much.

Attachments

• 1381523093253.jpg
    1381523093253.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 74

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mommy22boys said:
Thanks Tom.
This is the sedum I have. Is it safe? I haven't given him much.

I don't know that one. Do you know the scientific name? If not maybe take some to a local nursery for ID help.

Mommy22boys

5 Year Member
That link doesn't work. I don't know the specific type of sedum it is. I'll look on the internet and see what I can find though

From my search this us what I found for the name Sedum rupestre ‘Angelina’ (PPAF)  ANGELINA SEDUM

Mommy22boys

5 Year Member
Thanks Yvonne. Mine kind of looks like that one but the flowers look like they are different. Right now its not in bloom so I can't show you but here's a pic of more of the plant.
Toxic what does it do? He only had probably 5 sprigs in a week and a half time period. If mine is toxic I'll stop feeding it right away but how to I reverse any affects it may have had? Is there a way to clear it out of his system?

Attachments

• 1381533060082.jpg
    1381533060082.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 46
Status
Not open for further replies.