How do you not have a billion tortoises?

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Excluding breeders who obviously really do have several creeps of tortoises, how does the average tort pet owner not end up with a bunch of tortoises?! I love having these guys!

Attachments

• C8D38E65-EFEC-42D2-A710-BC5E7E64CE28.jpeg
    C8D38E65-EFEC-42D2-A710-BC5E7E64CE28.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 83
  • FAC57B3E-B401-4668-8A01-8B8B32E222FC.jpeg
    FAC57B3E-B401-4668-8A01-8B8B32E222FC.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
I wish I could have a bunch of torts. My parents will not let me. :(
I hear you and it’s ok. I didn’t get my first turtle until I was in college, and didn’t get a tortoise until I was married and many kids later (last year). It was worth the wait. I am mostly wondering how to keep myself from ending up with like 10 tortoises in the future, lol.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
I only have 1 tort. I chose to keep it that way !
Many years ago, I had 23 rabbits at one time. It was 3 generations. It was fun, but I want to keep things simple now.
Oh, I do have 2 rescue rabbits now, as they were both abandoned seperately by their previous owners. But 2 is still easier still.
If I can them on one hand, that's good.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
I only have 1 tort. I chose to keep it that way !
Many years ago, I had 23 rabbits at one time. It was 3 generations. It was fun, but I want to keep things simple now.
Oh, I do have 2 rescue rabbits now, as they were both abandoned seperately by their previous owners. But 2 is still easier still.
If I can them on one hand, that's good.
I like that idea...able to count on one hand. :tort::tort::tort::tort::tort:
I am only considering one more in the future, but I can see why some people end up with several.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Your torts and RES are so cute and looking good. If I could I would love a couple more. I think my limit is 3 (FOR NOW). ????

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I have 2 and I'm pretty happy with that. I love watching them stomp around and go about their business. Thankfully i just keep in mind my available space lol. My kids stuff takes up a lot of room obviously all over the place, Because let's face it, when does a kid actually put things away like they should, plus I have 2 dogs that starfish EVERYWHERE and take up way more room than you think is possible, then the hubs hobbie tables and shelves. Then the torts, then little ol me lol with my laptop haha ? ?‍♀️
After I think about all that, I'm good lol. Its like hanging out with your crazy neice for a few hours and realizing you don't want any more kids even though you love her ?

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
I have 2 and I'm pretty happy with that. I love watching them stomp around and go about their business. Thankfully i just keep in mind my available space lol. My kids stuff takes up a lot of room obviously all over the place, Because let's face it, when does a kid actually put things away like they should, plus I have 2 dogs that starfish EVERYWHERE and take up way more room than you think is possible, then the hubs hobbie tables and shelves. Then the torts, then little ol me lol with my laptop haha ? ?‍♀️
After I think about all that, I'm good lol. Its like hanging out with your crazy neice for a few hours and realizing you don't want any more kids even though you love her ?
I see your beautiful leopard. What species is your second tortoise?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Yes, probably the number one reason I haven’t gone crazy. That..and my husband was already nice enough to let me have even one.
Same!! I sold an old terrarium and gave him the cash and said thanks for letting me have my torts and being understanding. He came back with, ' like I had a choice ?

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Same!! I sold an old terrarium and gave him the cash and said thanks for letting me have my torts and being understanding. He came back with, ' like I had a choice ?
Well, I can admit that one time I told my husband "Love me, love my dog !" ? ?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Nope. Time.
I dont think you ever pause Tom lol. Your life seems so filled with cool adventures of various kinds! I can definitely see time being the deciding factor! You have so much awesome stuff to do! Speaking of which, how's your falcon?

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Money & Space.
Yup, it's important to keep your tortoises and turtles in healthy environments. This cost money, time and space.
If you work all day, cleaning areas, water and feeding takes up a lot of dedicated time.
I would love more, they are like potato chips, you can't just have one. But being somewhat practical, well, maybe not very practical.... I have 7. That's a lot of work!
:tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort:?