How do you prevent an overgrown beak?

gamera154

Location (City and/or State)
grand terrace ca
So my boy doesn't have an overgrown beak but I want to know how to prevent it I'm already feeding him on a flat rock but is there anything else I can do to prevent it from happening

Fredkas

5 Year Member
So my boy doesn't have an overgrown beak but I want to know how to prevent it I'm already feeding him on a flat rock but is there anything else I can do to prevent it from happening
I think feeding him on a flat rock is the best thing you can do. Give him hard things to eat also helps, such as cuttlebone.
But if i remembered correctly, CMIIW, there are some species that naturally have a little overgrown beak than other species

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I think feeding him on a flat rock is the best thing you can do. Give him hard things to eat also helps, such as cuttlebone.
Adding a cuttlebone to the enclosure is good advice. You'll find them in the bird aisle of pet stores.

Tearing at food - grazing - also helps with beak maintenance. So having plants in the enclosure that your tort can browse on is good too.

But if i remembered correctly, CMIIW, there are some species that naturally have a little overgrown beak than other species
The only one I can think of is Homopus Areolatus.

Russians do not naturally have overgrown beaks.

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
Mine has cuttlebone and I feed him on a rough stone. Keeps his beak trimmed, even if it's a little sharp when he sneaks up on me and bites. ;)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Grazing on plants is the best way to keep a trim beak. It's how they keep those beaks filed naturally, after all ;)
An outdoor enclosure with lots of "the good stuff" growing so he can feed himself is the way to go.
Attaching store bought greens to a clip or securing them somehow in an indoor enclosure can work, too.