how does buying on here (tortoise forum) from breeders work

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
first off let me just start by saying i'm not really sure where to put this thread so if it is in the wrong place apologies i was just wondering if someone could tell me how the buying from breeder's here work's on the one site i've seen tortoisesupply it is just like any other online store but here how do you take precaution's to avoid being scammed and such?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How to avoid being a scam victim...

Let's say I want to buy a redfoot from TerryPJX and she has some showing in a for sale thread. First I know she had to have been here for 30 days or did 30 posts. Next I can go back and see what she has posted to give me an idea about her. I can check the section of Vendor reviews and see if anything has been written about her. I can ask her questions. ask for references, and pictures and I can also ask other members who may know her, live near her, or have the same type of tortoises and see what they think about her.

With adoptions, they are not charging money so some of the rules like the 30/30 is not always used in some emergency type situations. With these your kinda taking chances.

With the reposted ads, those the forum is not giving you any feedback on them. Folks just put them up there and your on your own to figure out if they are scams or not, just like you would with any other place you come across.

From actual companies, we have the Vendor review section and if you don't see what your loking for, you can start a thread asking about Ali BeeBOps Tortoise supply Company (or whomever).

In the end you of course do take some risks when buying online, buying in person lowers those risks. Buying at a reptile show you normally can not do prepurchase information gathering on the person selling to you.

My best advise is to research and ask around before buying. Ask for pictures of the actual animal you will get, find out what refunds and health guarantees they give and how they ship animals. Get things in writing and use something like Paypal where if there are problems, you can have help getting money back.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
To add to what Jacqui has said, any of the vendors who are sponsoring the Forum are reliable.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forum-122.html

I don't see TortoiseSupply.com on our sponsor list, but I'm pretty sure he's a sponsor, and he's reliable.

Your subject line asks the question, "How does buying on here from breeders work?"

The answer to that is that many of our members breed tortoises and sell the babies. When you buy from a member who is a breeder, you are buying from that person, not from the Forum. You would contact the breeder of your choice and work out an agreement between the two of you. The Forum is not involved at all.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
is there anyway to filter where breeder's are located? i live in oregon and am looking for a red foot i've been looking for month's but stores close only carry russian's and sometimes sulcata's i've talked to tyler from tortoisesupply but the only problem seems to be catching them with any red foot's left

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Are you wanting a youngster or an older one? If older, have you checked with rescues and on places like Craig's list? Vicki Hale with TortoiseYard is some where up that way I believe. Or we have many breeders of redfoots scattered all across the country, that could maybe have some youngsters in stock. Have you checked out to see if these are still for sale:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-86426.html

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Jacqui said:
Are you wanting a youngster or an older one? If older, have you checked with rescues and on places like Craig's list? Vicki Hale with TortoiseYard is some where up that way I believe. Or we have many breeders of redfoots scattered all across the country, that could maybe have some youngsters in stock. Have you checked out to see if these are still for sale:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-86426.html

sorry for the delayed reply and yes i've pm that ad last night they have some still available but are they trusted i see there email on the breeders list that Yvonne linked me in a earlier post but name of the person is tropical torts is it the same person? i'm sorry if this is in the wrong place i'm not sure where to post when asking about sellers