How easy is a tortoise as a pet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrea M

5 Year Member
I spent 6 months researching before I got a tortoise, I settled on a Hermann as I live in the UK and they are the hardiest and appear to have the least 'special needs' ie humidifiers, don't get as big as some of the other breeds etc but there was so much reading to do on enclosures, diet, health, pyramiding etc. I've had my little guy (Hokie) for 2 months now but had to spend a month preparing his table, sorting out temperatures etc before I even got him. A tortoise is not an easy option pet but if you do your homework a very rewarding one. I would not try to put someone off one but would certainly point out how much you have to learn about them before you even decide it's the pet for you. I read this forum every day and don't think you ever stop learning. I can honestly say that I am hooked!!

image-2324216207.png

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
I would agree that 'easy' is a relative, and not quite appropriate term, but when you look at more public forums, like Yahoo Answers, you get simplified questions from people who want simplified answers.

Here are some sample questions there just from the last couple days (source: http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index;...uHlOfDH1G;_ylv=3?sid=396546022&link=open&cp=6):
1. How to look after a tortoise?
I would like to have a tortoise as a pet but not sure how to look after one! Please help
-what do I feed them?
-how often do I feed them?
-what do I include in their vivarium?
-can they be kept in pairs?
And any other helpul information!
Thanks xxx

2. Can you help with a turtle problem?
My friends Russian tortoise is not eating he would feed her lettuce and grapes now she doesn't move much she been with him about 3 to 4 years she has regular care.she hasn't been outside much she would eat inside and out of her cage. Sorry I couldent get all the facts about her I'm not her owner.

3. Should I return my russian tortoise?
I got him a petco. He seemed not shy and everything. first off i would never buy animals at petco because how poorly they care for them. My russian tort i got this saturday. Hasn't eaten or drank any water.I can't invest my money in taking him to the vet i simply cannot afford that. The area i live in the rates are sky high. The ones at petsmart are so much more alert and not shy at all. What are your suggestions? Please please this is a very hard decisions i have only 12 days left before the return policy expires. How can I tell he is healthy if he won't eat. He just basks and kinda sleeps all day and kinda messes up his enclosure at night and then I have to fix it in the morning. He does nothing during the day.

These are all people who thought this would be easy, and probably got simplistic advice from the pet store or some local 'expert'. These same sorts of questions also happen with bearded dragons, snakes, etc.

If these people had been given realistic advice (let's use 'realistic' instead of 'easy' or 'challenging', etc. for right now), they would probably be happy owners of healthy animals OR have chosen something more appropriate for them.

I have noticed a big difference between the questions from newbies there, and the questions from newbies here. Most of OUR newbies have done at least a little research- that is how they found us. The folk on Yahoo and other sites have absolutely no clue what is going on, and in far too many cases, have no idea what species they even have!

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
I do agree with what you're saying Madkins. I also think that the same could be said about any "pet". Some people think cats are "easy" without taking into consideration the care they require.

I think, like any other animal, tortoises are not a child's "pet". In my opinion, I don't even consider them "pets". I enjoy them very much and gain great joy from watching and taking care that they have their requirements met. I do however think they are wild animals and want to create for them the most "natural" environment for them so that I, well, can observe them doing what they do.

I personally do not recommend tortoises as a pet, I know how much work they are. I thought the same thing when I saw advice given on here about breeding tortoises when it was quite obvious the OP's weren't even sure of the care for their specific tortoises. I was disgusted one day, actually on this forum, when advice was given on breeding tortoises, then the OP started asking questions about "basic" care of the adult tortoises they wanted to breed.

You're right, I came across this forum in my research. To me, it had the most helpful logical answers that's why I'm here. I even learned a lot from the site you maintain , (thanks) I'm also lucky enough to live close enough to Gary (gbtortoises) to borrow some books, talk tortoises and learn. There have been countless members on here who have helped me.

I guess I'm getting a bit rambly lol. Bottom line I do not think we should advocate tortoises as being easy to keep, but I feel the responsibility to keep any pet is not easy.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
"How easy" all depends on the species...Where you live...Your finances, even. How much money can you put into your housing? I mean, raising red foots in a northern climate can be really hard, or you can spend 5 grand on converting your living room into a nice rainforest, and call it a piece of cake....

It also depends on what you offer...There are a lot of keepers by there that just "scrape by", offer a very small variety of foods (some of these foods nutritionally deficient), don't follow the strict care regimes here that many do, and their animals survive. They call it easy, because the way they care for them is. There are some of out there who handpick the best foods with 50 different items in their diet, use very large, spacious, creatively designed enclosures (rocks, logs, ponds, streams, waterfalls, the whole shebang), and call it difficult..Because most likely it is.

We shouldn't advocate ANYTHING as easy to keep. I don't care if its a hermit crab...The difficulty of care should be over-emphasized and then some. Its those thoughts of "its so easy" that cause animal neglect and abuse...People aren't aware what they are getting into, and just don't know how to provide it. If someone told them in the beginning what they were getting into, chances are, they wouldn't have (although some sadly still will) purchased the animal....I mean, if an inexperienced person goes to a pet store, and finds this tiny gecko-size green iguana and thinks "Oh, its so cute!" are they going to buy it if the salesman tells them the whole "terrarium, lettuce and water" thing? Probably. If the salesmen told them, "Oh yeah, he's going to grow up to be about 4-5 feet long in several years, he'll eat a ton of his very varied diet, need at least 80 sq. ft of creatively designed enclosure, a large exposure to UV, AND chances are won't like you and tail-whip and bite you when you enter the cage. May I offer you some of our Repto-Cal in addition?), they won't...

So, are tortoises "easy" as pets? As far as a new keepers needs to be concerned, the answer should be capitalized and consist of 2 letters...NO.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
I agree with pretty much everything that's been said. Impossible to to define easy. For myself I'd consider it easy and enjoyable. I'm also blessed to live in AZ which in many cases simplifies raising tortoises.

People do tend to oversimplify owning a tortoise though. I cringe every time I see a tortoise in an empty 10 gal aquarium with rabbit pellets as substrate and that's it. I make it very clear when I sell tortoises the care they require and I provide the information necessary to make what can be seen as hard, a little easier.

Overall if you enjoy your tortoise, the work to maintain them doesn't feel like work. I spend probably at least 3+ hours a day maintaining enclosures, feeding, watering, etc. but it doesn't feel like work or something that's "hard" because I enjoy it. Well worth the effort! :)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I think this is somewhat of a subjective question. Caring for a dog - which stinks, sheds, needs to be walked, needs social interaction - is a lot more work than caring for a tortoise (or several).

I think my adult tortoises are a whole lot easier to care for than our special needs Veiled Chameleon... but we also have invested a lot of money in proper housing, lighting, substrate, supplements etc. for the tortoises.

That said, a person who has never had a pet may find themselves overwhelmed. Since many of the tortoises that have come into my care were prime examples of the results of what NOT to do, I have been very picky about whom they end up with. I would rather hang onto the tortoise for a few extra weeks while a friend saves up the money to purchase the proper lighting, build an extra-nice tortoise enclosure, sets up an emergency vet fund... and most importantly, does a ton of research so as to properly care for their tortoise. Mo and Norbert both live with people I know personally, so if they ever need help, I am always available.

The potential life span of a tortoise should also always be considered. My kids know that some day they will be inheriting my tortoises. They love this. Not everyone is ready for this kind of commitment, however.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
I bought Eloise on a whim (if I could turn back time I would still buy her but I would research first) Petsmart was the place and the aquarium pitch was the game (if I could turn back time I'd smack that fool for selling me repti bark for her). I started researching the day I bought her and I fixed as many things about her original 10 gal!!! setup as I could immiediately and then every week for the first month I bought her somthing else she needed UVB light correct substrate 54 gal rubbermaid tub etc....she is happy for now but I can only imagine how much happier she will be this time next year when we have a nice supply of dandelions growing inside during the winter and some testudo seed growing to vary her diet! I'm sad that I can't provide her natural sunshine right now or freshly grown weeds but I have loved her (maybe he) since I first held her in the petstore and I enjoy soaking her and feeding her and being bit by her (not encouraged but has happened) I like her better than the dogs and sometimes better that the kid or the husband (she doesn't whine or talk back) But with all of this I can see where she is not the pet for everyone. My reason for looking at tortoises the day I bought her was because of a news story I read about a college student who completed a science experiment with a rubber turtle. he placed it in the middle of the highway to see what folks would do.... Few people stopped to help the "turtle" but many intentionally swerved to try to hit it!! 7 of those swervers infact hit their target...I've always thought "turtles" were cute but never thought to have one as a pet until I read that story...so no matter the level of difficulty that story is motivation to me to keep at least one of these beautiful creature off the road and out of traffic.. If you would like to read the story that inspired my desire to be a tort mommy....http://www.ksl.com/?nid=711&sid=23529877

I'm too new to the tort game so I'm not here to advocate either way for easy or hard...But reality is an important view to share.

EKLC

5 Year Member
It takes a lot of tinkering before you figure out how to create a proper environment for a tortoise. This is a time consuming and expensive process. The same with figuring out which weeds you can feed and how to grow your own. Once you get that down, tortoises are not so demanding.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
One thing is for certain with the care of a tortoise verse the care of a dog. Last night my dog jumped a skunk late in the evening and that was a pain to deal with. Had my dog been a 90 lb. sulcata, this never would have taken place.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
My main concern is going to be the winter electric bill once my leopard gets larger. As of now my plans are to build a large table in the garage (I don't park in the garage much anyway), but it's going to cost a lot to heat even if I make it a giant closed chamber. I have an extra room in the house but I don't think it's big enough, plus I don't want to have to remove all the furniture.

Frog Tropics

5 Year Member
Time, space and resources are all required factors, yes, but I think it's important also to let people know that tortoise care is detailed, but straightforward (I always compare it to caring for orchids in the sense that the flowers are particular but not confusing to care for), let we deter people who might make great additions to the hobby. By "detailed but straightforward," I mean to say that there are certain dietary/space/lighting/etc. requirements, but that they're not mysterious, for the most part, or difficult to learn. All of which is to say that if the financial and other resources are there and the will/desire is, as well, I don't think potential owners should be made to feel that tortoise care is overly complicated or confusing which I do not feel it is.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I think if anyone finds it "work" to take a dog out for a walk so he can do his business, or "work" to have to be aware of the general health of your pet, or find it "work" to feed your pet twice a day (or more), then having a tortoise is definitely "work" in order to maintain a happy, healthy tortoise. So, it is relative, in a sense, because what some would consider "work," others don't.

There is no doubt that raising a healthy, happy tortoise requires a good amount of foreknowledge, which many new owners don't have. Unfortunately, like myself in the beginning, many don't look for help on what's going on with their tortoise until one gets sick. Worse yet, and this is inexcusable, some don't even notice or even care if their tortoise is sick until it dies. All this is part of the responsibilities that an owner must be dedicated to in order to raise tortoises as pets. In short, it's a lifetime commitment that many are not really willing to take on with a mate, never mind a pet. In that sense, it could be very difficult for some. But, if you are committed, responsible, caring, and have the space, resources, time and energy, then it's a pleasure and enjoyable!

Logan J

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366220358.389983.jpg

Owning and breeding tortoise is to me kinda like chess, seeing which tortoises get along and others who don't. Just making them comfortable and feel at home this picture I have is homes for 7 torts it's size is 30 by 30 with their own water holes and all have different diets.

Last edited by a moderator:

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
I would absolutely love a leopard, but I do not have the room to properly take care of him or her. So I decided to get small tortoises that do not need a huge yard like a Leo. I also have to build a nice big outdoor enclosure, looking at 7ft or 8ft long and 3ft wide. I wish I could fence up an area of our yard for them, but the grass is treated to kill ants and weeds, my mum is severely allergic to ants. If our lawn was not treated and I could fence in our yard I would get a Leo but I knew perfectly well the requirements they needed and I knew i could not offer him or her that. Hopefully when I move out of the house I can get a nice big yard I can fence in and get a Leo, and hopefully a boyfriend who enjoys tortoises as much as me.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I think most people want something easy, something they can toss in a glass tank. IMHO, the biggest hurdle many have, whether it is outdoors or indoors, is housing. Even a single adult Russian needs something like 6' x 4' right? There's no glass tank the average pet hobbyist can buy in a store for that.

The key is what is best for average PERSON, not the average reptile keeper. To anyone who has had reasonable experience with herps and is handy with tools, keeping a tortoise is not. You don't have to worry about them escaping as easily as a lizard or snake. Feeding them is also relatively easy, if you shop smart at the grocery store or produce stands. But does everyone have enough space in their yard or home for a tortoise table/pen? Most cannot or choose not to provide this.

Status
Not open for further replies.