1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

How fast do Desert Tortoises grow?

Discussion in 'North American Tortoises (genus Gopherus)' started by Felicia Broschart, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Felicia Broschart

Felicia Broschart New Member

Just weighed my babies yesterday. They are around 40 grams. One poster told me I should soak them daily until they reached 100 grams. Just curious how long that takes. They are hearty little eaters. Seems like they want food non-stop!

Attached Files:

Ciri likes this.
  2. NataliaTG

NataliaTG New Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Hello! I have 2 texas torts and they grow pretty slow.

How old are your babies? I know that desert torts are bigger than texas tortoises, so they might reach the 100 grams mark at around 6 months?
  3. WIIV

WIIV New Member

Similar question on size and growth. One of our SDT is almost 3x the size of the other. Same clutch. Hatched September Normal?
  4. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

They all grow at different rates depending upon many variables.

If I hatch them myself and raise them up in ideal conditions they can reach 100 grams in 3 months. If they were started dry, kept outside too much, not soaked often enough, not fed right, etc… It could take over a year to reach 100 grams. Even if the current keeper is doing everything right, the things that happened with the previous keeper can severely hamper growth.
    Yelloweyed likes this.
  5. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

Are they living as a pair? If yes, that is likely to be your problem. They should never live as pairs. Separate them ASAP, and watch the growth rate on the smaller one pick up after a few weeks away from its tormentor.
    68merc and TechnoCheese like this.