how fast do sulcata tortoise grow in abou 1 or 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxy12200571

5 Year Member
How fast does a sulcata tortoise grow?

and tell me your experience with your sulcata and should i get one ??

i want to know how big they can get in about 1 year i have always loved these kind of tortoise and im just asking because i work in a vet clinic as a vet tech and this client toldme he had one for me as a christmas gift since her dog needed surgery and she did not have money for it so i payed half of her bill she is an old lady she does not know much about them she got it from her grand son that had 10 babys and i cant tell her no i dont want it so im stuck with it but im asking how much can it grow in 1 year because im moving to a big house with a big back yard and stuff so right now im living with my parents so please andwer and oooh if you have one tell me your experience

and im new here so idk if i put this question on the right place so yeah god bless yall

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
First thing first welcome to the TFO do you have it now ? What are you keeping him in ?;)

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Welcome! as for your questions...Sulcatas do get huge. the 1st and second year vary because each toroitse is different and depends on diet and such...can you send a pic. Mine is about 6 or 7 so i have been told and is almost 50 pounds. What type of enclosure do you have him in now? You can get lots of valuable info on this site and almost everyone is friendly!

Becki

5 Year Member
Albuquerque
Welcome! I think sulcatas are great pets. However, I'm concerned that you say you're "stuck with it". Are you feeling like you may not want it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. They grow at wildly different rates. When they hatch they are all around 32-35 grams. I had one get up to over 200 grams in less than 6 months while I had another one that was only around 300 grams at 2 years. If they are healthy, well fed, warm and hydrated they usually grow pretty fast. They can reach 6" by their first year and 10-12" by their second. Having said that, I've got a 3 year old that is only around 7" and 900 grams, but she has been a very slow grower.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Roxy12200571:

Welcome to the forum!! Please do me a favor and put a period (.) after the end of a sentence. I'd really...really appreciate it!!

May we know your name and where you're from?

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
My oldest Sulcata is 6 years old and over 60lbs. My little one is only about 5 ounces now and a bit over 3 inches in SCL. Now you've got me wondering about his exact measurements though. I think I'll go do just that. When we got him he wasn't yet 3 inches and was only a little over 3 ounces.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
I raised livingstone from a hatchling. She is 1.5 years old and weighs 1043 grams or 2.3 pounds. She is 7.5" SCL.

I've been told she is big for her age though, so im not measuring stick to use.

And they are very sweet creatures.

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
it will depend on how it is raised when I first got mine It stayed very small for the first 3 years (mostly because it wasnt getting what it needed) after I decided to commit FULLY to the best of my ability he started growing VERY fast the first year he went outside for the summer he was about 5 1/2 pounds and at the end of our warm season 11lbs about 5 months!!! the same thing happened to my little leo last summer he doubled in size after one warm season grazzing everyday ( I left out punctuation on purpose just for you Yvonne!)

Status
Not open for further replies.