How hard is it to integrate a single male to a group of females?

KL09009

Location (City and/or State)
Murfreesboro, TN
Hi everyone. I have a 5 year old male Eastern Hermann’s tortoise. He is my first tortoise after months of research. I would like to get 2 females in the future, but I’m wondering if I keep him as a single tort for a while, will it be hard to integrate him with 2 females in the future? (He lived with a Hermann’s colony before I got him). Like is there a threshold of how long a male tort can live solo before he won’t integrate with a group again?

Also, I know not to keep 1 male and 1 female together, but has anyone successfully kept 1 male with 2 females? Or is 3 females the absolute minimum?

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The ONLY thing on his mind will be who he can catch to breed with. I would put him in for an hour or so then take him out. (After quarantine, of course)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
In the first instance quarantine has to be your priority.

Never introduce tortoises until you have had them in your care for at least 6 months. This is to ensure that no one tortoise makes any other sick.

You must remember that this species is solitary. In the wild they roam for miles, meet up to mate and move on. Other tortoises, regardless of gender, are rivals for territory and food or objects to mate with... nothing more.

Groups of three or more MAY succeed as long as there is plenty of of space (at least 4’x8’ per tortoise) and lots of sight barriers so they can’t see each other. Even then you must be prepared to house them separately and on a permanent basis.

As Yvonne says, after quarantine, the safest thing to do for the sake of all the tortoises is to introduce for an hour while watching like a hawk and then separate again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are all individuals and no one can predict how it will go. A large outdoor enclosure that is neutral territory for all of them will increase your chances of success. If you drop them into his territory, he will likely breed them vigorously at first. Things may calm down, or maybe not. The females might attack him. You just never know. Be prepared to house them all separately, but try the introduction after a quarantine period. It might work flawlessly with no issues. Just have a back up plan with separate housing for each in case it doesn't go flawlessly. Personally I love the species and I'd like to see more people breeding them.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I have not worked with this species, but from what I have experienced, a very heavily planted enclosure or one with abundant cover reduces aggression. This may be more important than enclosure size.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have not worked with this species, but from what I have experienced, a very heavily planted enclosure or one with abundant cover reduces aggression. This may be more important than enclosure size.
Both are important.
Sight barriers of any type help greatly