How high above Russian Tortoise should UVB bulb be?

Truemanfoo

Location (City and/or State)
San Clemente, CA
HI everyone, I have looked and looked and cannot find how high about my Russian Tortoise i need to hang the Arcadia Pro T5 6% tube bulb?

I have a 5X5 foot enclosure for 1 male.

I'm creating a stand out of PVC pipe but need to know how high up the light needs to go. Plus, i'm wondering what kind of "hooks" i can put on the top of the fixture to hang them from some chain?

Truemanfoo

San Clemente, CA
@Tom are you able to help me? What is the correct UVI I should be aiming for, for a Russian Tortoise? I have a T5 6% tube and need to know how high to hang it above my pet to get the correct UVI (which I don't know what that is, is it like 4.0?)?

Fish Breath

NY
HI everyone, I have looked and looked and cannot find how high about my Russian Tortoise i need to hang the Arcadia Pro T5 6% tube bulb?

I have a 5X5 foot enclosure for 1 male.

I'm creating a stand out of PVC pipe but need to know how high up the light needs to go. Plus, i'm wondering what kind of "hooks" i can put on the top of the fixture to hang them from some chain?
12-20 inches above the top of the substrate

Fish Breath

NY
And if it’s incredibly strong just hang it from the ceiling and do it till the top of the substrate looks like it’s midday in the summer outside.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I would tend to agree with this.
I have REPTISUN T5 5.0 fixtures.(3 of them) They are similar to the slightly superior Arcadia units.
At 12"....and through a screen....I'm registering about 3.8 in my Chameleons cages.
So, in my guess, 16-20" without a screen would be great.

Fish Breath

NY
I would tend to agree with this.
I have REPTISUN T5 5.0 fixtures.(3 of them) They are similar to the slightly superior Arcadia units.
At 12"....and through a screen....I'm registering about 3.8 in my Chameleons cages.
Where do you live? I’m guessing Florida...I live in NYC, just asking because of the minimal low lamp

Fish Breath

NY
Florida. Yes.
All of my Redfoot live outdoors.
I have these T5s on my Chameleons.
They require a reading of 4.0
Hah I’m smart. Redfoots are trained? You know that they are the only tort species that can use touchscreens right? Lol teach them to grind geometry dash...

Truemanfoo

San Clemente, CA
Florida. Yes.
All of my Redfoot live outdoors.
I have these T5s on my Chameleons.
They require a reading of 4.0
Do you happen to know what reading a Russian Tortoise requires? I am reading conflicting info online from 1-2.6 to 2.9-7.4.

I built a PVC stand to hang the Arcadia 6% bulb from (see pic) but I am waiting for the bulb to come in.

Anyway, I Just need to know how high up to hang the 6% bulb. I guess we all agree on 16-20IMG_5622.jpg"?

Fish Breath

NY
Do you happen to know what reading a Russian Tortoise requires? I am reading conflicting info online from 1-2.6 to 2.9-7.4.

I built a PVC stand to hang the Arcadia 6% bulb from (see pic) but I am waiting for the bulb to come in.

Anyway, I Just need to know how high up to hang the 6% bulb. I guess we all agree on 16-20View attachment 294764"?
A bit higher than the stand btw. Strong lights. Maybe 2-5 inches higher

Truemanfoo

San Clemente, CA
Here is what the box says for how high to hang it. I just don't know what UV index it's supposed to be for Russian. Capture.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom are you able to help me? What is the correct UVI I should be aiming for, for a Russian Tortoise? I have a T5 6% tube and need to know how high to hang it above my pet to get the correct UVI (which I don't know what that is, is it like 4.0?)?
Do you want to run it all day? Or a few hours mid day?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Assumed all day. Fran Baines on Facebook told me to run it all day, as it's part of daylight, so i had always assumed, 12 hours on, 12 off.
For all day running, I'd suggest a UVI of 2-4. Be sure there are hiding places where your tortoise can escape the light.

Truemanfoo

San Clemente, CA
For all day running, I'd suggest a UVI of 2-4. Be sure there are hiding places where your tortoise can escape the light.
ok awesome! That was what I wanted to know. Appreciate it. Yes, there is a humid hide, a log and the other side is cooler with lesser light. Thank you!