How high should I hang my reptisun bulb?

fergusaur

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Delaware
How high should my t5 10.0 high output uvb bulb be for my eastern hermann’s tortoise? I’m assuming like 15 inches or higher since I’m using a reflector but I’m not exactly sure on the specific height it should be around. It’s an open top enclosure with no screen.

Attachments

• 501AA415-0C2B-4DB4-B62D-D0AFCC167CCF.jpeg
    501AA415-0C2B-4DB4-B62D-D0AFCC167CCF.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 0

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How high should my t5 10.0 high output uvb bulb be for my eastern hermann’s tortoise? I’m assuming like 15 inches or higher since I’m using a reflector but I’m not exactly sure on the specific height it should be around. It’s an open top enclosure with no screen.
We can only guess. Every bulb, reflector and enclosure is different. You need a meter to be sure. 16-18 inches is probably a safe distance, but without a meter under that bulb in your enclosure, there is no way to know.

Solarmeter 6.5.

fergusaur

Today is my birthday!
Delaware
We can only guess. Every bulb, reflector and enclosure is different. You need a meter to be sure. 16-18 inches is probably a safe distance, but without a meter under that bulb in your enclosure, there is no way to know.

Solarmeter 6.5.
From the research I’ve done the common distance I found was between 15 and 24 so I might do 20 just to be safe until I can get a solar meter

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
From the research I’ve done the common distance I found was between 15 and 24 so I might do 20 just to be safe until I can get a solar meter
That is a good plan. The Arcadia 12% HO bulbs make more UV than the Reptisuns, and 20 inches is usually a safe distance for those. Plus with warmer weather coming, hopefully your tortoise will get some sunning time outside.