How hot is too hot for a Russian?

kirbytherussian

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I recently just moved from New Hampshire to sunny Florida. Leo, my 6 year old russian tortoise loved playing outside during the summer in NH. He would spend hours outside if I let him, and would even go on daily walks with me on the sidewalk. So naturally, I thought he would LOVE an outside enclosure in Florida. We've been here a couple weeks now, and I have noticed that since I moved him outside he seems less active. Before he would be constantly walking around the perimeters of his enclosure, anxious for me to take him outside. He now has access to over 150 square feet- 3/4 of which is a sheltered lanai. Although I'm not outside with him constantly, I've noticed that he spends most of his time sheltered under a large plant, and I have not seen him bask once. Each day is in the mid 80's minimum (we're at the hottest point of the year now) , with nights dropping into the 70's. I've monitored how hot is actually feels like, and it doesn't get over 100. There's at least one light rain shower a day, usually in the afternoon (he has full access to the lanai during these times, which has a basking light to warm up and dry off after the rain) . He also has access to 3 or 4 hides, all placed in shady locations with dirt. Although I don't believe its too hot for him, I just want to make sure as I have noticed these changes in behavior. And although he loves the romping space, if need be I can build him and indoor enclosure.

Thanks so much,
madie

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
Give him a chance to get used to the new digs. The temps seem fine. He is just unhappy with the change

Reactions: Tom

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
He’s fine at a hundred, or even higher so long as he has deep shade.

Just give him time to settle in, as previously mentioned.

I wouldn’t expect him to spend much time on the lanai yet, if ever. Just because it’s sheltered for humans doesn’t mean it is comfortable for a little tortoise for whom the shelter is far up, leaving him exposed. Mine is comfortable on our patio now but it took a couple of years for her to hang out there; it’s still not as good as under a bush. :)

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
  1. Tortoise don't like change. Moving him out of his territory and into some strange place will mess with his head for a while.
  2. Those are very different environments. FL weather isn't great for a species that come from a hot dry area. Hopefully he'll get used to it.