How I Keep Humidity Up For a Small Sulcata (Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hagerstown, MD
Some people have asked me how I maintain humidity. This will show the steps I take. I use 3/4 coconut bricks and 1/4 playsand.

First I got a regular sized Tupperware container (about 1 1/2 gallons.) I cut a small hole into the bottom.
IMG_0238.jpg

I then place the container on a patch of substrate I deem to be too dry.
IMG_0240.jpg

I fill a drink container with water.
IMG_0242.jpg

I then pour about two of these into the first container, (only one for this demonstration.)
IMG_0244.jpg

I let the water seep out into the substrate. It will take about a half hour to empty. I do this about five times around the tank. This keeps me from misting everyday or pouring water directly into the substrate causing the sand to sink to the bottom.
IMG_0246.jpg

To gauge if yours substrate holds enough moisture squeeze a handful.
IMG_0247.jpg

If liquid is squeezed out of your handful you have to much water in your substrate and you now have mud. But if you did it right and there is a decent amount of liquid in the substrate it will hold its shape. Also 4+ inches of substrate holds the most liquid for a good amount of time. Any less and you will have to add water more frequently due to evaporation.
IMG_0248.jpg

I also fill the hidebox with sphagnum moss, about 2 inches thick.
IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

You can tell if there is enough humidity by using the torts own food. Lettuce in my tank wont wilt for days. The lettuce in this pic was placed in the tank yesterday. It remained fresh in 85+ degrees temp.
IMG_0249.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well done. I don't use sand, so I just dump the water into mine. Our set-ups and our torts are nearly the same. Daisy was heavily pyramided when I got her at three months old too. Don't want to hijack your thread, so I'll post pics on another one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Rhyno47 said:
I like sand because it makes the ground harder and less spongy I suppose.

Lots of people use it and love it. I don't like it because it seems to stick to everything. Their food, their eyes, etc... To each his own...

I use whatever is available in bulk and is appropriate for the situation. Daisy is on an orchid bark/soil mix right now. I keep it wet. Very wet.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
Sphagnum moss seems to keep the sand off him. Plus he doesn't dig. Ever since I put the moss in his hide he stopped digging. He loves his hide and he does pile up the moss in front of the entrance. I guess that it blocks out the light and makes it seem enclosed like a burrow.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks, Ryan! I love tutorials!!!

dannomite

5 Year Member
I will have to try the moss thing, Nova is getting to be quite the digger these days....thanks for the tips, beautiful new growth! Hey ur pic of Isaac is the Wikipedia pic too eh?

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member
No pictures of my method, but I will share.

Like the OP, I want to add water, but pouring water on destroys my landscaping, which I spend considerable time on.
My 'cure' or solution was to:
Take a large funnel
Cut a square of plastic bag a little larger then the open end of the funnel.
With duct tape, attach it tightly to the funnel so the only way in is the bottom of the funnel where water normally pours of out.
Poke a few holes in the plastic bag.
Fill the funnel with water from the small hole, and now it 'rains' onto the cage.

In short, I made a 500ml shower head.

Status
Not open for further replies.