How I know if my tortoise doesn't like his enclosure ?

Little Leo

After I had changed his enclosure with grass and wood chip , he always walk around the area and eat those grass .

Isn't it feel very uncomfortable ?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hi

A tortoise will always explore a new space to see what it offers and to establish it as theirs.

Once your tort gets used to it, he'll probably pace less.

Please post pictures if you would like us to take a look and see if there's anything that might upset a tort.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
That is extremely small for him, plus there is no hide.

I'm not sure what you are doing here for lighting or heating, but he needs a temperature gradient so he can regulate his body temperature and he needs room to roam.

You really need to read the beginner's mistakes thread and Tom's care sheet for Sulcatas and Leopards.

I can't link to them right now, but I'm sure somebody will for you.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The enclosure is way too small and has glass sides that the tortoise can see through. Your tortoise does not like its enclosure!

Please read this Beginner Mistakes thread for starters to explain some of the problems.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

I am not sure from your photo what species of tortoise this is. Can you confirm please?

Your tortoise needs something thing that is 4'x8' (1.5 x 2.2 metres) minimum.

It needs substrate like coco coir or orchid bark that it can dig into - not mostly turf that you have.

The reptile water bowl is a tipping hazard and hard for a tortoise to use. You need to replace it with a terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate.

Use a piece if flat rock or slate for a food plate which will help your tortoise to keep its beak in good shape while it eats.

There is no shelter in the enclosure. Your tortoise needs a hide to feel safe in.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes please read all the threads linked and get him into a much bigger enclosure. If you don't, you will be causing him to not be able to walk properly. I rescued a leopard that was in a small enclosure and he couldn't walk.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You've dressed up the enclosure nicely, however it needs to be about three times bigger than that. Also, he needs a hiding place - somewhere he can feel safe and secure. The grass is nice, but the waterer should be sunk down so he doesn't have to climb to get a drink. In order to do that, you'll need about 4" of substrate.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

A pretty tort. However the enclosure is far too small for an animal that is used to roam around as he/she pleases in the wild.