How is a Russian tortoise supposed to behave?

Julian32122

Location (City and/or State)
Vallejo
I just got my Russian tortoise and I’m a bit confused on what to expect from it. Are they fairly active during the day? Are they eating often? Are they mainly in one spot all day? I ask this because my new tortoise has been staying in a single spot under my fake plant all day and doesn’t seem to move from it.

The only time I ever see it actively doing stuff is when I soak it and put it under the basking bulb until it chooses to retreat back to the fake plant only to stay there all day and night without eating.

My setup is a 4x2 tortoise table with cypress mulch ranging from 2 inches to 5.5 inches for burrowing. I’ve got a CHE emitter over the fake plant (the tortoise would however retreat to the fake plant before I got bulb anyways) and I’ve also got a Mercury Vapor bulb. Temps around the plant are 75-85 and the basking is at 90-95. Mid-section is about 65-75. I’ve got the diet in check with a variety of dark leafy greens for now, I’m soaking everyday, feeding calcium powder, etc... I hope my husbandry is fine as I’ve tried my best to do research, but I can’t tell if something is wrong with the way it’s behaving. This is the first full day with it and it has yet to come out and eat its food. It’s just there, hidden until I pull it out for its soaking session tomorrow morning.

I’m not sure if this is how they normally are? Any advice? Any potential issues? I got this tortoise captive-bred from a reputable local business. Thanks!

Attachments

• FAD314A4-B0FD-4369-855C-2F2E9BAA269B.jpeg
    FAD314A4-B0FD-4369-855C-2F2E9BAA269B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • 6BD342BA-0284-4472-8A92-DA79BC07C6AE.jpeg
    6BD342BA-0284-4472-8A92-DA79BC07C6AE.jpeg
    539.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 56BF8770-1BF2-480D-93DE-BBF6D0B33075.jpeg
    56BF8770-1BF2-480D-93DE-BBF6D0B33075.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44

turtlebean

Connecticut
Hey there, I have a rt as well and I often find myself wondering the same thing! It’s weird because some days my little guy is ready to run a marathon and will eat everything I put out and other days he will sleep all day and then other days he’s somewhere in the middle. With the weather getting colder, my rt has definitely slowed down energy wise and is seeming to sleep more during the daytime, only coming out to bask and eat and then back to bed.

So for your question, I can’t answer how they’re supposed to act normally because I only have experience with my little one, but hopefully some input from myself and others can help you get an idea. Also you noted that you just got your russian tortoise, sometimes they take a while to settle in and get comfortable with their new environment. As long as you have your temps right, you’re soaking him, feeding him the right things, etc, he should settle in just fine!

Best of luck to you and your tort!:)

Julian32122

Vallejo
Hey there, I have a rt as well and I often find myself wondering the same thing! It’s weird because some days my little guy is ready to run a marathon and will eat everything I put out and other days he will sleep all day and then other days he’s somewhere in the middle. With the weather getting colder, my rt has definitely slowed down energy wise and is seeming to sleep more during the daytime, only coming out to bask and eat and then back to bed.

So for your question, I can’t answer how they’re supposed to act normally because I only have experience with my little one, but hopefully some input from myself and others can help you get an idea. Also you noted that you just got your russian tortoise, sometimes they take a while to settle in and get comfortable with their new environment. As long as you have your temps right, you’re soaking him, feeding him the right things, etc, he should settle in just fine!

Things are looking much better today :) It’s a lot more active and was basking for way longer. I even took it outside today in its outdoor enclosure and it ate! Super happy seeing the progress.

TaylorTortoise

Abington

@Julian32122 Like turtlebean was saying they kind of have distinct behavior and if you're new to owning a russian tortoise it can seem puzzling as to knowing if they are happy sad, or satisified or bored. Once you get to know your torts routines, it becomes easier in knowing what is "normal" behavior for your guy.

My tort seems to sleep more in the winter with the crisp weather, and when I take him outside in spring/summer he has more energy. He tends to wake up when I do to be fed, basks first, eats, and depending on the day might pace back and forth in his enclosure for exercise and periodically nap throughout the day.

My guy has a human routine where he wakes up in the morning usually around the same time to warm up for breakfast, and then does his exercising, and then naps ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello. I have a little Russian and have had him for about 12 years. When he decides to move it can be hilarious. I kinda felt the same as you. He would sit and look at something for a couple of hours like he was stuck and didn't know what to think. When he decided you knew. They move at their own pace but don't be fooled by the little monkey. Watch the little one they are more active than they appear ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You just got him. Give him time to get adjusted to his new home, to you and to the fact you bring food instead of wanting to eat him.
Its winter time and in the wild they would hibernate. In captivity those that do not hibernate them needs to leave lights on longer and make it a little warmer during the day, around 80 except the basking spot.
They will sleep, roam sleep, eat sleep, that's just what they do. In the wild they would hide out during the hottest parts of the day.
The biggest thing is to give them time yoo adjust.