How is this even possible?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Unfortunately it is possible. By the looks of the substratet the poor thing probably still isn't cared for properly.
How anyone watches a tortoise turn into this and think it's normal is sickening! A simple google search would show what normal is.

SteveM

MS
Yeah, everytime I look at little Mikey I see pyramiding that isn't there, I stay worried about that, I do follow Tom's guide though.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I'm curious why they used that particular pic in an article describing cost of ownership. I breezed through the entire article and saw little to nothing about the cost of vet care. At least that would have justified the pic. Perhaps it was a deterrent to keep folks from buying them? :(

OliveW

Branford, FL
Unfortunately it is possible. By the looks of the substratet the poor thing probably still isn't cared for properly.
How anyone watches a tortoise turn into this and think it's normal is sickening! A simple google search would show what normal is.

This is so true! Even prior to finding this forum and being VERY ignorant of proper care, I was able to find that out.

Within ten minutes of bringing Tortimer home, I knew he had pyramiding and had been improperly cared for.

I initially plucked him off a dirt road because I thought he was the coolest looking tortoise ever with those bumps on his shell. It broke my heart to quickly discover that he was deformed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm curious why they used that particular pic in an article describing cost of ownership. I breezed through the entire article and saw little to nothing about the cost of vet care. At least that would have justified the pic. Perhaps it was a deterrent to keep folks from buying them? :(
Me too. Never in the whole article did they mention that the picture is NOT what a sulcata is supposed to look like.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is so true! Even prior to finding this forum and being VERY ignorant of proper care, I was able to find that out.

Within ten minutes of bringing Tortimer home, I knew he had pyramiding and had been improperly cared for.

I initially plucked him off a dirt road because I thought he was the coolest looking tortoise ever with those bumps on his shell. It broke my heart to quickly discover that he was deformed.
Pyramiding is not all that bad. It's how distorted this tort is and the severe mbd.

OliveW

Branford, FL
Pyramiding is not all that bad. It's how distorted this tort is and the severe mbd.

No need to be argumentative. I was talking about MY tortoise and HIS pyramiding. I reread my post and it's overwhelmingly obvious what I was referring to.

I'm certainly not blind and can see this photo for myself, and it's very clear that there is much more wrong than pyramiding.

I feel like you just ENJOY disagreeing with what people posts.

Seriously, enough already.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No need to be argumentative. I was talking about MY tortoise and HIS pyramiding. I reread my post and it's overwhelmingly obvious what I was referring to.

I'm certainly not blind and can see this photo for myself, and it's very clear that there is much more wrong than pyramiding.

I feel like you just ENJOY disagreeing with what people posts.

Seriously, enough already.
Where in the world do you get I'm being argumentative? Wow!
I was just stating that pyramiding isn't a sign of bad care, mine is pyramided. Many that have had them for more then around 9-10 years are pyramided.
I think you are looking to argue not me!!!