How long can 2 Sulcatas share a space?

Kymberlyn

Location (City and/or State)
Southern Ohio - Zone 6b
I have received a new Sulcata hatchling. Zippy, my first one, is a year old now. I have the smaller tub that I started Zippy in. Should I keep the hatchling in his/her own tub or can the two of them live together in a larger tub for the next year?

Side note, Zippy now spends warm days outdoors and comes into the house in the evening. Also, I understand that when they are a few years old it will be time to separate them to prevent harming each other. Peppy and Zippy April 27 2022.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They should never be kept in pairs. Groups of juveniles can sometimes work, but not pairs.

The size disparity is a big problem too. Zippy needs his own enclosure ASAP.

Also, did you skip quarantine? There are some terrible tortoise diseases going around right now, and sulcatas have been hit hard. Look up "austwikia". Its a bad deal.

Kymberlyn

Southern Ohio - Zone 6b
They should never be kept in pairs. Groups of juveniles can sometimes work, but not pairs.

The size disparity is a big problem too. Zippy needs his own enclosure ASAP.

Also, did you skip quarantine? There are some terrible tortoise diseases going around right now, and sulcatas have been hit hard. Look up "austwikia". Its a bad deal.
Tom, thank you for your quick reply. I do have the hatchling in a separate tub. They were only together for the picture. I was not aware of the communicable diseases going around but I will keep Peppy, the new tort, in his own space. The forest soil is a fresh batch and the tub hasn't been used in 6 months or so.

Again, thank you for helping me avoid a terrible outcome.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, thank you for your quick reply. I do have the hatchling in a separate tub. They were only together for the picture. I was not aware of the communicable diseases going around but I will keep Peppy, the new tort, in his own space. The forest soil is a fresh batch and the tub hasn't been used in 6 months or so.

Again, thank you for helping me avoid a terrible outcome.
You are most welcome.

In case you haven't seen this already, here is the current care sheet for sulcata hatchlings;