How long can a sulcata hatchling stay on its back?

gozzilla

I have had my sulcata hatchling close to 2 months. He has flipped on his back twice in this period, the first time was around a week after having him and he was on his side almost back over on his feet when I found him. The second was a few minutes ago. Is there a set time on how long could they stay like this and live?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
There is no set time. I've seen cases of hours on their back with no ill effect. Just do your best to minimize the risk of flipping and keep an eye out. They usually stop doing this within a few weeks or months.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
There is no set time. The biggest risk is dehydration if he does it under the basking lamp, or drowning in a water bowl. If it's more than a few minutes, or there's any doubt, give your tort good soaks so he can rehydrate and all should be well.

It will be worth looking at you enclosure to see what he's doing to flip and see if you can minimise the risk... it is also worth making sure there are other objects around that your tort might use to flip himself back. They can learn how to do it, they have to in the wild.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
They can learn how to do it, they have to in the wild.
And you never hear of the wild ones that don't learn. The main concern was should be, as has been stated, what is the little bugger using to flip over in the first place? This needs your attention and elimination first.

gozzilla

And you never hear of the wild ones that don't learn. The main concern was should be, as has been stated, what is the little bugger using to flip over in the first place? This needs your attention and elimination first.
I think he flipped over trying to climb his hide, because this is where I found him laying.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You need to work out what he's up to, like I said, and see what you can do to minimise risk. The little darlings often try this sort of thing. You need to give him things he can reach for so he can lever himself upright and try to stop him tipping when he climbs. A well placed plant or other piece of decor is often enough to do the job.