how long can a tort go with out eating?

Dragon

Location (City and/or State)
michagin
oh thank you marsha for such a kind and wounderful post! iv had many different kinds of pets over the years...and i can usuly figure out there habbits likes and dislikes and get a handle on what makes them happy...even my red eared slidder I was able to quit quickly figure out....but i must admit sissy is a bit of a challange lol iv found there are not a whole lot of books or articles on the internet with the correct information ..... so its hard to look up things like is it normal to spend all your time in the hidy? and such lol just makes it a little harder to begin...I am getting more comfortable with her and not worrying quite as much....as i learn more and more from this sight.... I am feeling a bit better today thank goodness...increaseing my stomic meds back to 4 times a day is finally beginning to get things back on track!! lol spikes off to the store to pick up some things...mac and cheese on the top of his list...and i'll see if my stomic is ready to try some of that....if not i'll just wait a few more days and try again....iv been wainting to loose some weight anyway...lol Next time i ask God to help me loose some weight i think i'll add with out getting slightly sick lol and now before spike gets back i want to get a few things done lol again thanks!!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
oh thank you marsha for such a kind and wounderful post! iv had many different kinds of pets over the years...and i can usuly figure out there habbits likes and dislikes and get a handle on what makes them happy...even my red eared slidder I was able to quit quickly figure out....but i must admit sissy is a bit of a challange lol iv found there are not a whole lot of books or articles on the internet with the correct information ..... so its hard to look up things like is it normal to spend all your time in the hidy? and such lol just makes it a little harder to begin...I am getting more comfortable with her and not worrying quite as much....as i learn more and more from this sight.... I am feeling a bit better today thank goodness...increaseing my stomic meds back to 4 times a day is finally beginning to get things back on track!! lol spikes off to the store to pick up some things...mac and cheese on the top of his list...and i'll see if my stomic is ready to try some of that....if not i'll just wait a few more days and try again....iv been wainting to loose some weight anyway...lol Next time i ask God to help me loose some weight i think i'll add with out getting slightly sick lol and now before spike gets back i want to get a few things done lol again thanks!!
I am so glad you are beginning to feel better - it's miserable when you feel unable to do the things you want to do, isn't it ! It's great you have Spike to help you - you say he fusses, but it is because he cares about you, after all.
Even after having Zola for 21 years, he still does strange things sometimes, and we just don't quite know what to do to help him.Usually he gets back to normal quite quickly though. I think you will begin to learn Sissy's behaviour patterns over time, and then you won't need to worry so much.You are doing really well getting her sorted out - people don't always realise that tortoises have their own individual characters,and it takes time to understand them.
I hope you manage to enjoy your mac and cheese. Take care of yourself, and if Doctor Spike says rest, then do as he says.
Angie x

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I know. When you pray you gotta put those little disclaimers in there.😁 I've learned that the hard way.🤔 Ya gotta be specific because he does it 🥰❤️🙃

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I am so glad you are beginning to feel better - it's miserable when you feel unable to do the things you want to do, isn't it ! It's great you have Spike to help you - you say he fusses, but it is because he cares about you, after all.
Even after having Zola for 21 years, he still does strange things sometimes, and we just don't quite know what to do to help him.Usually he gets back to normal quite quickly though. I think you will begin to learn Sissy's behaviour patterns over time, and then you won't need to worry so much.You are doing really well getting her sorted out - people don't always realise that tortoises have their own individual characters,and it takes time to understand them.
I hope you manage to enjoy your mac and cheese. Take care of yourself, and if Doctor Spike says rest, then do as he says.
Angie x
Hello again - I do hope you are feeling a lot better today - it's really grim when you always have to consider if you really feel up to doing things -I hope Sissy is being a good girl today. I am about to sit with Zola in his conservatory - he was in a cross mood yesterday - I don't know why - but he went out for a drive to look at the sea this morning, and he may be a bit calmer now. I do so wish he could tell me what's wrong - even after 21 years I can only guess sometimes !
Angie

Dragon

michagin
Thanks everyone....Yes I am feeling quite a bit better today. I'll countue to take my stomich meds 4 times a day for the rest of the week and slowly work my way back down to once a day.... God likes to keep my life as interesting as he can! lol since i seldom get out I guess he figures this is the way to do it!! lol I dont know if i ever mentioned that i suffer from panic anxity and agoraphobia.... which is why i worry so much i guess about asking to many questions or just rattleing on to much...Iv been in a few other sights where the people just stoped talking to me. Which i can understand but i think it would have been nicer if they had just said something. oh well. Now that the weather is getting nicer Im making a point of taking the dogs for a walk at least once a day. ( i dont do cold lol) and im hoping to get to where I can go to church with sheba again by the end of the summer. Spike said I could have a tort IF I went with him to get one....lol ( but 5 animal children was his limit! lol ) which of course is more then reasonable lol I didnt know wed have to go 100 miles away to get one though lol unfrountly spike went out to put the bedding in the car and while he was out there the lady put a bunchof stuff in a box on the counter that she said wed need for sissy...like snake oil...and instead of giving us the entire bag of tort food we paid for they just gave us a small plastic container of food...ahh well spike wasnt upset with me...although if they had been closer to where we lived they would have gotten a return visit from him! lol but it all worked out in the long run....lol I have a very small animal cage Iv thought about using to put sissy in when we go for walks...it could sit on the seat of the walker....but sissy would just fit in it .....so she wouldnt be able to move around in it....so im trying to think of something else.... we do still have the old kids wadeing pool though it has some small holes in it but once it gets warmer I could put her in it for a little outside time. I got her out this morning for a soak....she seemed to enjoy that and of course the back rubs with the toothbrush...While i had her out spike put her hidy on the other side of her house. when i put her back in i put her face in the food dish...filled with grass, weeds and dandolions....nope she didnt want it ....oh well maybe later or tomarrow....she did stay out for a short time and then found her way back to her hidy....guess what the little lady did? I looked in on her a little while later and she has built a wall of bedding in frount of the opening to her hidy...lol maybe she thinks we cant find her that way lol now i cant reach that far back to get her...so today spike got her out of her box....and if shes still in her hidy tomarrow spike will just lift up the hidy and take her out for me again..... well id best get to the 3d printer and see how its going

zolasmum

5 Year Member
lol actually we lead pretty boaring lives for th e most part lol how ever the critters do add a little bit interest to our loves lol
I always love to hear about you too - and I admire you for carrying on taking such care of Sissy and your other animals the way you do, even when you have such severe health problems . I admire Spike too - and of course I absolutely love Sheba !!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
lol actually we lead pretty boaring lives for th e most part lol how ever the critters do add a little bit interest to our loves lol
That's the same with me. I've been called an oddball because of the quiet life I lead. I'm boring to most people because the things that get me laughing come from my peanut gallery. Which is my animals and their antics. And the wild animals that live in my yard. One of my favorite memories is when a hummingbird beak came a couple of inches from my forehead. I didn't have time to duck 😁 I thought I was about to get impaled by a hummingbird 😂🙃 that dang bird knew I was there and flew over my head at the very last second.😁 I have a thousand other stories. They make my day when they happen.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
That's the same with me. I've been called an oddball because of the quiet life I lead. I'm boring to most people because the things that get me laughing come from my peanut gallery. Which is my animals and their antics. And the wild animals that live in my yard. One of my favorite memories is when a hummingbird beak came a couple of inches from my forehead. I didn't have time to duck 😁 I thought I was about to get impaled by a hummingbird 😂🙃 that dang bird knew I was there and flew over my head at the very last second.😁 I have a thousand other stories. They make my day when they happen.
I'm much better with my fur 🐶, feather🐦, & shell 🐢kids than I am with most people. I'm socially awkward. I can talk to some folks quite easily, But typically with others I can hardly say a word. But the non humans are always easy . . to talk to & enjoy.

Dragon

michagin
taking a break and thought id stop by lol Sissys being sissy again lol today when I put her food in her house I couldnt find her!! I knew she hadnt gotten out as the lid was still down with all the lights on...and i checked her hidy but nope....so then i started moving her bedding around looking for her...finally spike got up he can reach every part of her house....he moved her hidy and and dug around in there and yup she was all the way in the back cornor behind where the hidy was half buried in there....lol Id better get her figured out soon or spike may have a nerivous breakdown!! lol shes still not eating...when i take her out to soak today i ll put some grass in the water with her and see if she might take a nibble or two....its finally nice out here....high 60s low 70s soim going to drag the old kiddy pool out and clean it up some and then maybe tomarrow or or the next day up into the 80s. so maybe i can get her outside for a little bit one of these days..first we have to finish the footstool and then give spike some time to rest lol then i'll see what i can do.... and now its about time to eat lol for me....lol have a great day

Dragon

michagin
I always love to hear about you too - and I admire you for carrying on taking such care of Sissy and your other animals the way you do, even when you have such severe health problems . I admire Spike too - and of course I absolutely love Sheba !!
oh im sorry i gave you the impression that i have severe health problems! I have several different kinds of health problems but I dont consider the severe.....the migrines and headaces are finally under what spike calls fragial control....although i still have to be careful to not be in bright light, avoid eating or drinking anything with msg or caffee and try to avoid stress....bad or good...lol my son and grandson came down today and we had a lovely visit! unfrountly an hour after they left the headace hit with a vengence so it was off to the dark room icepacks and a pain pill...within 2 hours i was back up and going about my busness. The copd is annoying and if they hadnt told me i have a weak heart i would never know!! lol as far as all my stumic issues they to are annoying but when they act up I just increass my stomic meds to its max dose and then slowly tapper it back down again. now by back on the other hand is the main reason i have the walker...I cant stand or walk for long periods of time with out it feeling like its going to break in half lol....I see my primary dr on tuesday and hopefuly he'll have some kind of answers for me that will help if not well i'll just keep on doing what im doing lol I must admit these annoying little physical problems tend to make it a bit harder to fight the panic anxity and agoraphobia....but such is life lol God has to find some way to keep my life interesting! lol Poor sissy though i wasnt able to get her out to soak or walk around today....but tomarrow should be a relitively quite day and maybe i can get that old pool out and set up some way so she can be outside for a short time.... I have a drs appoment tuesday and then my oldest daughter and her husband are comming down so i can do it all all over again!! lol I'll have to try to keeps sissy out a bit longer tomarrow....and now the reason i came on in the first place!! HAPPY MOTHERS DAYS to all the moms out there....weather your children are human or nonhuman

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
oh im sorry i gave you the impression that i have severe health problems! I have several different kinds of health problems but I dont consider the severe.....the migrines and headaces are finally under what spike calls fragial control....although i still have to be careful to not be in bright light, avoid eating or drinking anything with msg or caffee and try to avoid stress....bad or good...lol my son and grandson came down today and we had a lovely visit! unfrountly an hour after they left the headace hit with a vengence so it was off to the dark room icepacks and a pain pill...within 2 hours i was back up and going about my busness. The copd is annoying and if they hadnt told me i have a weak heart i would never know!! lol as far as all my stumic issues they to are annoying but when they act up I just increass my stomic meds to its max dose and then slowly tapper it back down again. now by back on the other hand is the main reason i have the walker...I cant stand or walk for long periods of time with out it feeling like its going to break in half lol....I see my primary dr on tuesday and hopefuly he'll have some kind of answers for me that will help if not well i'll just keep on doing what im doing lol I must admit these annoying little physical problems tend to make it a bit harder to fight the panic anxity and agoraphobia....but such is life lol God has to find some way to keep my life interesting! lol Poor sissy though i wasnt able to get her out to soak or walk around today....but tomarrow should be a relitively quite day and maybe i can get that old pool out and set up some way so she can be outside for a short time.... I have a drs appoment tuesday and then my oldest daughter and her husband are comming down so i can do it all all over again!! lol I'll have to try to keeps sissy out a bit longer tomarrow....and now the reason i came on in the first place!! HAPPY MOTHERS DAYS to all the moms out there....weather your children are human or nonhuman
Thank you Dragon, Yes, I have NO Hooman kids, but my menagerie shows me the love every day. Happy Mom's day 💐 to you too my friend.🌸🥀

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes and happy Mom's day today too 😘