How Long Do Russian Tortoises Stay In Their Burrow?

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Myers, FL
I'm new to owning a tortoise. I did as much research as I could before getting her so I knew she would burrow. I provided extra substrate for her and she made sure to take advantage of it. She made a burrow for herself about 12 hours ago ( before night/bed time) and hasn't come out since. When should I be worried if I should be worried at all?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is the time of year that Russians brumate. Being she is new to you, you won't really know if she is healthy enough to brumate, so you should keep her up the first year.
Temps at night should stay 70 or above. Day temps 80 with basking of 95-100. Be sure the enclosure is brightly lit for 12 hours a day. Don't let her stay borrowed for more then a day. If you have to get her out of hiding, give her a warm water soak and place in front of food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm new to owning a tortoise. I did as much research as I could before getting her so I knew she would burrow. I provided extra substrate for her and she made sure to take advantage of it. She made a burrow for herself about 12 hours ago ( before night/bed time) and hasn't come out since. When should I be worried if I should be worried at all?
Hello and welcome. Russians don't burrow. They just dig down into the substrate.

Its excellent that you did research before getting her, but there is a big problem: Almost all of the info out in the world from pet stores and online sources is all wrong. They sell you and tell you all the wrong stuff.

Here is the correct care info:

This time of year, most of them want to go into brumation. You will need to dig the tortoise up, soak it in warm water, and keep it awake while you decide if you want to brumate it or not. Here is the info on that:

Fort Myers, FL
This is the time of year that Russians brumate. Being she is new to you, you won't really know if she is healthy enough to brumate, so you should keep her up the first year.
Temps at night should stay 70 or above. Day temps 80 with basking of 95-100. Be sure the enclosure is brightly lit for 12 hours a day. Don't let her stay borrowed for more then a day. If you have to get her out of hiding, give her a warm water soak and place in front of food.
How often should I get her out? If I bathe and feed her every time she needs to come out will she stop attempting to brumate or will she keep trying? I know it's a yearly thing for them but will she just lose the urge this year or will she be adamant about it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well mine has always gone on and off all winter, well not really all winter, 2 or 3 months. Because I know he will come out of hiding, i let him do it on his own. However if it's been a couple days then i pull him out.
So it could go either way.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How often should I get her out?
Daily.

If I bathe and feed her every time she needs to come out will she stop attempting to brumate or will she keep trying?
There is no way to know. This depends on many factors. Some factors you have control of, like lighting and heat. Other factors are out of your control.

I know it's a yearly thing for them but will she just lose the urge this year or will she be adamant about it?
Same answer as the last question.

As I said, you need to decide if you want to brumate or not, and then take the correct steps for whichever way you want to go. This is all explained in the second thread I linked.