• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

How long does a young sulcata need higher humidity?

lulu74

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
Dozer is 7 months old and is 13 ounces. I haven't measured her. I keep her inside in an enclosure that she's quickly outgrowing. I am currently working on getting her into a larger enclosure on my covered porch (no direct sunlight) (I have a small house so there's not any room for a larger enclosure) and have everything worked out as far as maintaining heat levels, uv light and critter protection. My concern at the moment, is humidity. But before I go all out on trying to maintain higher humidity I want to know if I even need to worry about it anymore. Thanks in advance!

Mizcreant

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
Mine is approaching 2 years old and I still maintain high humidity. I used to do 80-85% until it reached about 1 year. I kept it that high for that long only because I rescued it and wasn't certain if the former owner kept it in an ideal environment. I've been slowly decreasing it and I now maintain it at about 65-70%.