How long does it take to grow next 'generation' of prickly pear cactus?

Camo

Location (City and/or State)
Kuala Lumpur
I have grown three prickly pear cactuses since several months ago, for my tortoise. I don't know the technical terms, but how long will the next batch of pads grow. I mean, I bought four pads, and planted them. After a few days/weeks, new pads started to grow. So I want to know what is the average duration of time between the start of a pad growing, and the pad that 'sits' on top of that pad to start growing.

I know this doesn't really relate to tortoises, but I assume many tortoise owners also plant prickly pear cactuses.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I have grown three prickly pear cactuses since several months ago, for my tortoise. I don't know the technical terms, but how long will the next batch of pads grow. I mean, I bought four pads, and planted them. After a few days/weeks, new pads started to grow. So I want to know what is the average duration of time between the start of a pad growing, and the pad that 'sits' on top of that pad to start growing.

I know this doesn't really relate to tortoises, but I assume many tortoise owners also plant prickly pear cactuses.

I would say a lot really depends on conditions of the mother plant, and how the plant is kept, watered, heat, moisture, etc. Usually ppl don’t fertilize. cactus. Ones in pots seem to sprout new growth quickly, but slow over time. Good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

What Mark said...

I don't know how they grow in the tropics. Over here they go dormant in Oct/Nov, and don't grow at all over winter. In the spring time they explode with new growth coming out all over.

I've planted lots of cactus. Some just take off and do great and others planted right next to them just sit there and don't do much. Moral of the story for me is to plant a whole bunch of them.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Depends on your local climate and the species/ variety of cactus. Most types here I get new pads only once or twice a year (often spring and fall).

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
In Florida we have a tropical environment. But I agree that it varies.
I have two in small hanging pots that grow very slowly. Their pots just contain bagged "garden soil" with no nutrients. Both plants have four pads each. However, any cactus planted on the ground or in a composted large pot grows very rapidly.
The photo is of one pad that grew into a monster that broke it's own pot. This pot contains cow manure compost and potting soil.
All of these cactuses are close to the same age. In the same yard. From the same original source. Just the size of the pot and the quality of the media is different

Attachments

• 20210607_094211.jpg
    20210607_094211.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 37

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The best time to plant cactus and succulent cuttings is in the summer, or hot months. The opuntia grows pretty fast when done right.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
When they are first planted, it will take time for a root structure to be developed. As they grow, from one pad to multiple, it will exponentially grow. One thing is to have a well draining soil, yet provide sufficient moisture, since cacti?, are mostly water, but yet will rot if they have wet feet.

Farcryjj

5 Year Member
Does prickly pear have thorns? What kind of cactus is suitable for Russian tortoises? I want to plant some too!

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Does prickly pear have thorns? What kind of cactus is suitable for Russian tortoises? I want to plant some too!
Yes, Prickley Pear Plants have thorns, and the fruit (Prickly Pears) have VERY fine lil clusters of thorns (Think Barbed Fuzz) I just cut off a pad using a leather glove to hold it, then take a knife and scrape the thorns off of both sides of the pad. The pears with the fuzz can be scorched off with a flame (My neighbor across the street has told me). A pair of tongs & a gas stove and your good to go.

Brian Rowlands

Port Charlotte FL. 33980

I feed my red foot's prickly pair cactus also right now they are growing slow because of Winter setting in but It usually takes about 4 months before new pads grow, If worse comes to worse you can always buy them at the grocery store or at the whole food stores