How long in Hospital Tank??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
So, I posted a couple of weeks ago, about my tiniest hatchling having a possible URI. I also updated saying she was getting better....the day after my update, she got worse again.

Anyway, she's been doing really well, but I still have her in the hospital tank (hot and humid)....she won't eat anything in there, no matter what I put in there. She soaks a lot (used to hate when I soaked her), but won't eat.

I've been taking her out every morning (before it gets too hot here) for about an hour-ish, and she loves grazing! Eats all sorts of weeds, grass, flowers, and fruit if I offer it.

So, my question is, at what point to I take her out of the hospital tank, and let her back in the big pen?

In the big pen she can graze and has space to wander....BUT I wouldn't be able to keep as close of an eye on her, which worries me, even though she seems to be doing well.

Thanks for any advice.

Here's little Ducky:

And here's part of her grazing space:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Aw...she's so tiny!

You can try letting her graduate to the big girl pen, and if she starts to show signs of getting the R.I. back, just put her back in the hospital tank. Maybe at first you can leave her out during the day, but bring her in at night.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Random question: for the big girl enclosure, do you have anything to ward off predators? She is just so cute and tiny, I'd be a big nervous about a tiny girl in the big girl enclosure!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I too worry about that size enclosure for such a little one. I would block a small portion off for her until she is bigger. That way you can protect it from large birds and other critters and also keep a better eye on her. Also, unless it is naturally very humid where you are, they need a high humidity. I would also bring her in at night and let her sleep in a warm and humid environment.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
We just have a secure "sleep box" in the big enclosure....and it's about 75% covered with vegetation and hides. We don't really have day-time predators, but it's still something to think about for sure, as it's not completely covered (it's about 11' x 9', I believe).

The grazing space in the photo above is NOT the big enclosure. That space in the photo is about 11' x 23', and very open. I have a temp fence set up, but only let them out to graze in that area while I can supervise. I usually tend to my plants, or sit on the stairs reading.

wellington said:
I too worry about that size enclosure for such a little one. I would block a small portion off for her until she is bigger. That way you can protect it from large birds and other critters and also keep a better eye on her. Also, unless it is naturally very humid where you are, they need a high humidity. I would also bring her in at night and let her sleep in a warm and humid environment.

Sorry, I didn't see this before I replied. It is very humid here. Redfoots are wild here, so I don't really do anything for added humidity, as I assume it's okay....but I still do daily soaks. Her hospital tank is very, very humid.

I think I'll definitely keep her in the hospital tank at night, and maybe try her in the big pen tomorrow (the one that's 9' x 11' and mostly covered with vegetation). I'll see how she does....maybe I'll even just leave her in there for a couple of hours, and gradually work up to her staying in there during the day.

Thanks for the advice, guys. :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If she was ailing then recovering and then ailing again and now appears in the upswing....I personally would keep the current hospital tank continued for at least another 3 or 4 weeks....with allowing the grazing and sun time you spoke of....yo yo health issues can turn south and continue that way....I would offer up the current set up to allow the immune system to become stronger and a little more reliable....

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Thanks Angela. I just want to do what's best for her. She's very tiny (by far the tiniest one I've seen here, and we got 3 from a close friend, just 3 days after they hatched...at 3 months, she smaller than they were at 3 days).

The person I got Ducky from (she actually owns a pet store) was keeping her in a bird cage (or hamster cage, I can't remember...it was open and had wires), with no substrate, and in an air conditioned room, a high water dish that only 1 of the torts could drink out of, and the lady didn't feed her in the week she had her (I brought in food when I visited).

I'm just hoping to get her healthy and watch her grow and live a long life!

I think I'll continue what I'm doing. Hospital tank with supervised grazing time each morning. :) That way I can control the temp and humidity....and she eats well when I take her out of the hospital tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.