How long should I keep my tortoise outside?

I

Ivankathetort

My Russian tortoise Ivanka has an indoor enclosure, but it is small for a tortoise. We have a big porch with a gate on the front, and we put some boards on the gate so she can not get out. She had shade and sun, and I put out a plant saucer as a water bowl. Ivanka is about 5 years old. I have heard you are not supposed to keep young tortoises outside for very long. Right now in the summer, it gets around 90 degrees outside. How long should I keep her in her outside space??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She should be able to live outside 24/7. She needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure inside and bigger outside or as big.
Hatchlings upto about 3 years should not live outside or be out all day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
My Russian tortoise Ivanka has an indoor enclosure, but it is small for a tortoise. We have a big porch with a gate on the front, and we put some boards on the gate so she can not get out. She had shade and sun, and I put out a plant saucer as a water bowl. Ivanka is about 5 years old. I have heard you are not supposed to keep young tortoises outside for very long. Right now in the summer, it gets around 90 degrees outside. How long should I keep her in her outside space??
I agree with Barb. A five year old should be living outside in favorable weather. I wouldn't keep the tortoise on a porch. I'd make it a large outdoor enclosure with a temperature controlled shelter that she can be locked into at night.

Improve the indoor enclosure for those times when weather isn't favorable. You need something 4x8 feet.

Here is how:

I

Ivankathetort

I agree with Barb. A five year old should be living outside in favorable weather. I wouldn't keep the tortoise on a porch. I'd make it a large outdoor enclosure with a temperature controlled shelter that she can be locked into at night.

Improve the indoor enclosure for those times when weather isn't favorable. You need something 4x8 feet.

Here is how:
Okay, thanks!