How long should I wait before asking for another pet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlesrule101

5 Year Member
Hey guys!
Sorry, I really wasn't sure where to post this thread... Okay back to the topic. For Christmas, I am going to get another turtle tank (finally!!!) after a years worth of preparation. I also would like a leopard gecko tank and I told my mom about it and she said "I don't know". How long should I wait before asking again? How should I say it in words?(I'm really bad at these speech things)
If this matters any, I'm 13. Thanks! Brooke

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
You might get it for Christmas, you never know, parents are sneaky creatures.
If you get an allowance I'd suggest trying to save up so you can buy it yourself, then you can point out how hard you've worked saving your money and how a great reward would be a leopard gecko. My parents always went by the "If you can keep it cared for, happy, and healthy, you can get whatever you want" rule.

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
Ask in writing. You can be your most eloquent self, and requests in writing can be very convincing. Include your reasons for wanting a leopard gecko tank, your plans for caring for the critters. Also include any possible problems a leopard gecko tank might present and your thoughts about resolving those problems.
Timing: When is your birthday? You're already getting a tank for Christmas, and Christmas is followed directly by tax season. Make your request a month or so before your birthday.

turtlesrule101

5 Year Member
Edna said:
Ask in writing. You can be your most eloquent self, and requests in writing can be very convincing. Include your reasons for wanting a leopard gecko tank, your plans for caring for the critters. Also include any possible problems a leopard gecko tank might present and your thoughts about resolving those problems.
Timing: When is your birthday? You're already getting a tank for Christmas, and Christmas is followed directly by tax season. Make your request a month or so before your birthday.

My birthday is November 16, so it just passed :(

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I managed to convince my parents to allow me to get an Argentine black and white tegu. I've constantly badgered them about the positive things, such as how they are intelligent, able to become dog-tame, don't cause allergies, etc. I've shown them some Youtube videos and that's worked pretty well. In turn, I've agreed to take full responsibility for the costs and wellfare of the tegu. IMO, that's a huge step in the convincing process.

I started by asking one parent, my mom, while she was watching dramas. The only other time I've asked is at the dinner table. I never asked when they were busy with work or other things. Patience is everything. I started with one parent because for me, there was less a chance of getting turned down. Then I moved on to my dad and my grandparents. I had my mom on my side, so it was alot easier.

Best of luck to you. :)

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
My parents were VERY liberal when it came to my pets. As long as they didn't have to do anything for it, they didn't care. I had to rearrange my room to make space for more cages. I started putting them in the dining room and living room and I never got any grief from them. I had a plastic swimming pool out back with water turtles and everything. My dad was a cop and he kinda mentioned a few times that he was glad I was into reptiles rather than drugs so he didn't care.

bmt123

5 Year Member
For me I asked them about getting a leopard gecko my mom didnt like them because of the tail. So I got a crested gecko and she is fine with it. So what I am trying say that there are some animals that they are not going to let u have and that's just part of it.

Also it might help if u show them one in real life.

travis_turtle

5 Year Member
For me I made a deal with my mom get thing they need then get what u want that's how I got my two breaded dragons it work if u want more then one to look up if their more active with a friend it worked with my mom now I'm trying to talk my in to a snake

Sulcata tortoise665

5 Year Member
Tortoises101 I've tried to convince MY parents to let me get a tegu but they said its too soon so I'm just going to have to wait till next year

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
In general, parents don't like to be "nagged" but every situation is different. To be perfectly frank, at 13, your "phase" in the reptile keeping hobby and life perspective in general is pretty limited. You seem to be at that point where you want one of everything; if you haven't kept it before, you want it. Its normal; we've all been there. It can be difficult for you to see things from your parents' point of view, but that's okay; its part of being a teenager and growing up. You'll learn.

Lots of good ideas already presented. Write a nice letter, outline the pros and cons. Describe how YOU will care for the animal, not THEM, because that is a main thing that most parents are concerned about: this is another pet that their kid will get bored with, and they will end up taking up the upkeep. Find a way to earn some extra money to help pay for your pets: extra chores for family and friends, baby-sitting, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.