How long to stay out

AZRT

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hey everyone. So my little guy is a hatchling and its a cool day here in Arizona. I’ve had him out side (he is in a cage with water and a hide) for about two hrs now. The temp is 90. Only a high of 100. How long can or should I keep him out there to get some good sun?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't like to leave babies outside for more than an hour. Soak him on the way in, and make sure he has deep shade when outside. A little hide box in the sun can over heat quickly.

AZRT

Arizona
Ok sounds good. He stayed out about 2 hrs and now he’s soaking for about 30 min.

What temps would be good for several hours outside? Mid 80’s. Winter in Arizona? Lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok sounds good. He stayed out about 2 hrs and now he’s soaking for about 30 min.

What temps would be good for several hours outside? Mid 80’s. Winter in Arizona? Lol
Its not about the temps. Its about the size of the baby. They don't do well outside when they are little. They do much better in a stable indoor environment. When your baby gets larger, you can leave him out longer and longer. In your climate, you will need an underground retreat of some sort for your tortoise to escape the heat. Here is what I did:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/#post-922226

AZRT

Arizona
Wow that is awesome. I have plenty of yard. I should do something similar when he gets bigger