How long to treat shell fungus?

Harmonious

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
DC
I've been treating my cherryhead's shell fungus with gentle chlorhexidine scrubs and athletes foot cream daily for a little over a week. It looks much better. Shell doesn't seem soft anywhere. When is it ok to put him back in his home? I attached before and after pics. Thanks

Attachments

• 1452383574730.jpg
    1452383574730.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 46
  • 1452383596650.jpg
    1452383596650.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 47

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks pretty good. Be sure to have the problem fixed before putting him back in. If that's been done, he looks good to put him back in to me. As long as the area is healed and hard.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'd only do the scrub with the antiseptic once and then clean with water and apply the cream for a week. Maybe two.
I was taught that further use of the antiseptic hinders shell regtowth.
I have had 100% success with this routine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Treating the symptoms is good and necessary, but did you discover the cause and fix that too?

Harmonious

5 Year Member
DC
I'm having a humidity issue. It's become so humid some mold has started. I'm in the process of correcting that. I'm building a replacement for the molded portion that will allow for more air flow. In addition, I've installed a tube so I can water under the substrate instead of using the mistking system I have, I plan to have that go off maybe once a week. I think these changes will help. I plan to monitor his shell closely. I have no experience with shell fungus. I just need to know if you stop treatment once the area looks fungus free and the shell feels hard and is no longer flaking or continue treating.