How long will gopher tortoise inhabit burrow?

TurtleAirBNB

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hi all - This year on Fathers Day a gopher tortoise showed up in our front yard. It’s now late August so he’s been with us about 10 weeks. We’re calling him George (seems to have that concave lower shell). He’s fascinating to our family. We stay away from his burrow and don’t interfere at all but we watch him from our porch every day. We don’t mow around his zone and have largely rerouted our trek to the mailbox which is near his burrow. It’s close to the road but we live on a culdesac so traffic isn’t an issue.

He can stay as long as he pleases but I’m curious to know about how long we could expect him to stick around. I’ve googled the mess out of gopher tortoises but that’s not something I’m finding. I understand they sometimes travel between burrows but he hasn’t left since he arrived. He’s active and sometimes roams the culdesac but always comes back a little while later. Any info would be great. I am thinking of planting some more vegetation near him but won’t if someone tells me he’s probably near the end of his stay. It’s the summer of George! Thanks in advance! -Lauren

Attachments

• IMG_0045.jpeg
    IMG_0045.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1057.jpeg
    IMG_1057.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoises have territory that they claim as their home. He is not likely to leave unless something forces him to. Like another male, he goes searching for a female, but likely will still return or if he gets disturbed enough by humans that he feels he needs to go elsewhere. Sounds like you're giving him the space he needs that you're not a bother.
How lucky for you and how fun is that. Cup of coffee on the porch watching a beautiful native tortoise.

TurtleAirBNB

Florida
Tortoises have territory that they claim as their home. He is not likely to leave unless something forces him to. Like another male, he goes searching for a female, but likely will still return or if he gets disturbed enough by humans that he feels he needs to go elsewhere. Sounds like you're giving him the space he needs that you're not a bother.
How lucky for you and how fun is that. Cup of coffee on the porch watching a beautiful native tortoise.
It really is lucky. My husband has always said a turtle is his spirit animal so the day of his arrival being Father’s Day was special AND that day happened to also be our daughter’s birthday. So “George” seemed kismet from the start!
We’ve gotten a few laughs too as people walk by, food delivery, neighbors, etc. they think he’s a yard statue at first and then he moves and scares them! He usually dashes for his burrow but sometimes just moves his head. He’s probably about 12” in length so my understanding is that he’s a mature gopher tortoise. We’re happy to be his lodging as long as he wants. Thanks for the info!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, that's a special arrival day. So glad you are enjoying him and he found a safe place that enjoys having him.
Just thought of this. If you haven't, you could be sure he has a water source. A clay saucer that is big enough for him to fit his whole body in, not deep but length and width wise would really help keep him hydrated. If you can bury it so it's level with the ground would be great too. But if it's low sided enough, it doesn't have to be buried, they will still use it.

TurtleAirBNB

Florida
Wow, that's a special arrival day. So glad you are enjoying him and he found a safe place that enjoys having him.
Just thought of this. If you haven't, you could be sure he has a water source. A clay saucer that is big enough for him to fit his whole body in, not deep but length and width wise would really help keep him hydrated. If you can bury it so it's level with the ground would be great too. But if it's low sided enough, it doesn't have to be buried, they will still use it.
I’ll definitely try that!

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
How Cool ... You should understand that what it is you are witnessing is rare. A wild animal living wild while you watch. You are VERY Lucky. I hope that George hangs around, this will be a family story told for years and there will always be a hint of something bigger in this world. Please do tell the neighbors the importance of letting him be .. George.

TurtleAirBNB

Florida
We 1000% agree! We have an Eddie Haskell type kid across the street that makes me nervous. So we keep our eyes on her but otherwise neighbors have been respectful. I also registered George on the FWC website when he arrived in terms of reporting a gopher tortoise at our place. I’m considering placing a small sign to educate others on the importance of leaving him be. Initially I was afraid that might draw more attention than help but so many people are commenting on him anyways plus I do worry someone will back out of their driveway and run over him.
Such a balance between not interfering with nature and intervening enough to prevent problems!
Appreciate all the advice and knowledge! I’m a teacher so I’m nerding out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you do put up a sign, which can be a good idea or a bad idea, I would include how it is illegal to touch or take them from the wild, that they are protected, maybe even copy the exact laws/rules for them and post that. Maybe include some informational info about them, which would be a good way to get onlookers more interested and caring for them.
I would also install cameras.

TurtleAirBNB

Florida
If you do put up a sign, which can be a good idea or a bad idea, I would include how it is illegal to touch or take them from the wild, that they are protected, maybe even copy the exact laws/rules for them and post that. Maybe include some informational info about them, which would be a good way to get onlookers more interested and caring for them.
I would also install cameras.
Would you put up the sign? I’m torn.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Would you put up the sign? I’m torn.
I'm not sure. Like you said though, there are already a lot of people noticing.
Maybe one that doesn't draw attention, but a small one like most zoos have with the name of the animal and a little info about them.
Like a 8x10 piece of paper size. One for the laws and maybe one piece that you could give a little personal info on or even on a index card.