How many cluches of eggs are too many?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick1679

5 Year Member
Hello there everyone. I'm a new user here and I keep a trio of Golden Greeks. I've had one female for over three years and I added a pair a year later. They were all sub adults when I got them, and as of about a year ago they reached what I think of as sexually mature (6"+ for the females and 5" for the male). On February 1st my first female "Lilly" laid her first clutch of two eggs. She broke one burying them, but one survived. Three days later she laid another two eggs. Today she laid another batch of two eggs. All are in the incubator at 86 degrees with 70% humidity. My questions to those who may be able to help is: Is this many clutches of eggs normal for a first time layer? And Should I be concerned that she is losing too much calcium, or that she may be at risk for other health concerns?

Thanks in advance, Patrick

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Patrick,
With your female digging the first time and breaking an egg, I think the substrate wasn't deep enough. She held onto the other 2 eggs in the clutch, till 3 days later. So she has only laid 2 clutches. Nothing wrong with that. One of my female Goldens laid 2 clutches (7 eggs total) her first time laying. There is no way for you to stop a female laying eggs. If your worried about calcium, than just up her calcium intake.

Danny

Patrick1679

5 Year Member
Thanks Danny, your insights have alleviated my concerns. I'm very attached to all my torts but Lilly in particular is very special to me. Thank you again, Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.