How many hours of sun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anastasia

5 Year Member
I have an outdoor enclosure that I would like to use for Pepper this summer. It's actually a dog kennel - 5' wide by 15' long, and 6' in height, which I will cover over top with chicken wire to keep the hawks out. (BTW Pepper is now 7.25" and about 3 lbs.) There is only one spot in my yard that I can have this enclosure, and it doesn't get direct sunshine all day long, so I'm wondering how many hours of direct sunlight she needs per day, and how does the temperature factor into this? Thanks! I'm excited for our weather here in WI to get hot enough for her to be out there most of the time!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Don't take my answer the wrong way, but as much as possible, will you be taking him in at night? or leaving him out there?. It is always best to give as much access as possible to sunlight.

Anastasia

5 Year Member
I would like to be able to leave her outside as much as possible once our nights are warm enough. With 6' chain link fence, and a cover over the top, she should be safe. Of course I wouldn't want to leave her outside on stormy or rain nights, either. I can always bring her in at night when needed, as I won't be taking down her indoor enclosure because of course we don't have real long summers here!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
As much as possible, you cant beat REAL SUN. Just make sure your tort has a place to get out of the sun as well. Lots of plants maybe

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your tort needs direct sunshine heat for basking, but even in the shade gets plenty of UVB outside.

As a teenager my worst ever sunburn was on a hot, humid, cloudy day when I lay reading for hours without sunscreen :(

It really depends on temperatures. As long as your tort can get morning sunshine to charge batteries the lack of it later in the day is unlikely to be a problem.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I take mine out around 7:00am before I go to work, and bring him in around 8:30pm-9pm before bedtime. Its usually dark by that time. I would leave him out all night as the temps are fine, but I do not currently have a coverguard for his pen and I worry about raccoons and other critters gettin' him. That's the only reason I bring him inside.

IN any case, he spends the majority of his time in one of his hides. At some point during the morning, he eats the greens I set out for him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How much UV do they NEED? In my experience 20 minutes twice a week in the sunshine will prevent MBD in any reptile, even the ones that are prone to it. More is definitely better, and more time being outdoors in a large pen grazing and exercising is very beneficial.

The shade and temperature thing is more difficult to answer. There are a lot of variables. My pens are all built in direct sun, and my challenge is to provide enough shade and cool retreats for those hot summer days... What time of the day is your kennel in the shade? I would say that if temps are in the mid 70's and climbing then putting them out in the shade is fine. If the pen is in the sun, and there is not a lot of wind, and you know temps will warm up as the day progresses, then I think its fine to put them out with temps in the 60's. When temps are getting into the 80's and higher, lots of shade is a must.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
You should be fine if he gets out there everyday to get real sun bask, and eat!
Just make sure you have lots of shade hides, water and food out daily!

Status
Not open for further replies.