How many hours outside a week to replace UVB in the summer?

Astrochelys

Planning to get a baby Greek tort and I’ve read that if you take them outside for 30-45 min a couple times of week it can replace the need for a UVB bulb in the summer. I plan on taking it outside at least 45 min everyday if the weather permits. Would this be alright?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Baby Greeks need to be inside in a closed chamber which raises the humidity, thus preventing pyramidding, and keeps temperatures steady keeping them warm and healthy. Going outside will be a few years down the line when your tort is big enough to cope.

Please read the following written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly , from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Care of young Testudo (written about Russsians, but applies to Greeks too)
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Planning to get a baby Greek tort and I’ve read that if you take them outside for 30-45 min a couple times of week it can replace the need for a UVB bulb in the summer. I plan on taking it outside at least 45 min everyday if the weather permits. Would this be alright?
There is no scientific study that has been done to determine exactly how much outside time is necessary. There are also a lot of variables to consider. Climate, cloud cover, latitude, season, time of day of the UV exposure, degree of cover for the tortoise, ground temp and air temp, etc…

Having said all of that, I can tell you that I frequently have to skip any UV exposure for babies during cold winter spells for several weeks in a row, with no ill effect. In years past, I've done two twenty minute sessions a week for most of the year, and that has been enough to prevent any sign of MBD.

If you get your tortoise outside for 45 minutes a day, several days a week, you will not need indoor UV and you will never see MBD due to lack of UV. As long as the diet is good, your tortoise will have healthy bones and good calcium levels in the blood. You can still use indoor UV tubes if you want for some good bright lighting, but it won't be "necessary".

Astrochelys

Baby Greeks need to be inside in a closed chamber which raises the humidity, thus preventing pyramidding, and keeps temperatures steady keeping them warm and healthy. Going outside will be a few years down the line when your tort is big enough to cope.

Please read the following written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly , from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Care of young Testudo (written about Russsians, but applies to Greeks too)
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

I’m planning to keep it in a closed chamber while inside but thought that if I took it outside while it was soaking in warm water for 30-45 min a day it would be alright.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I’m planning to keep it in a closed chamber while inside but thought that if I took it outside while it was soaking in warm water for 30-45 min a day it would be alright.
If you take a tortoise outside, it MUST have a properly set up secure enclosure.

Too often we see lost torts on here that have just been allowed half an hour in the garden. You only have to be distracted for a moment and they disappear and blend in with the background. Even my 10.5 inch 7lb Greek has given me heart failure too often as I struggle to locate him in the undergrowth.

For the first couple of years, I'd suggest keeping the baby indoors in the closed chamber and then think about getting a proper out door enclosure set up where your tort can explore and be safe and happy.

Astrochelys

If you take a tortoise outside, it MUST have a properly set up secure enclosure.

Too often we see lost torts on here that have just been allowed half an hour in the garden. You only have to be distracted for a moment and they disappear and blend in with the background. Even my 10.5 inch 7lb Greek has given me heart failure too often as I struggle to locate him in the undergrowth.

For the first couple of years, I'd suggest keeping the baby indoors in the closed chamber and then think about getting a proper out door enclosure set up where your tort can explore and be safe and happy.

As I’m currently in an apartment, I was thinking about getting a storage tub set up for it to roam around in while outside (it’ll be on a balcony as well), so it would never be truly ‘outside’.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Out of curiosity, is living in an apartment a long-term prospect? Greeks need loads of space as they grow. While a smaller closed chamber is fine for a baby, your tort will need a minimum of 4'x8' enclosure in 3-5 years. A tub on a balcony will not be anywhere near big enough.

My Greek Joe had free range of our garden and the one winter I couldn't hibernate him and had to keep him indoors was very stressful for both of us. He had our entire dining room converted to an enclosure and it still wasn't big enough. These animals roam miles in the wild and once they start to mature need a lot of space to keep them happy.

Astrochelys

Out of curiosity, is living in an apartment a long-term prospect? Greeks need loads of space as they grow. While a smaller closed chamber is fine for a baby, your tort will need a minimum of 4'x8' enclosure in 3-5 years. A tub on a balcony will not be anywhere near big enough.

My Greek Joe had free range of our garden and the one winter I couldn't hibernate him and had to keep him indoors was very stressful for both of us. He had our entire dining room converted to an enclosure and it still wasn't big enough. These animals roam miles in the wild and once they start to mature need a lot of space to keep them happy.

Nope, just till the end of August, then I’ll be going back home where I’ll be able to make an outdoor pen for him. But for now since I’m planning to get a baby, I’ll be making a 3’x3’ wooden enclosure and then once I get home I’ll be making a 4’x6’ enclosure (indoor). The tub was just an idea for him to be kept in for 30-45 min a day while he gets natural sunlight.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As I’m currently in an apartment, I was thinking about getting a storage tub set up for it to roam around in while outside (it’ll be on a balcony as well), so it would never be truly ‘outside’.
Use a kiddie pool from Walmart. Much bigger and same price or cheaper. Throw in some orchid bark substrate, a couple hides, maybe a potted plant or two, a terra cotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate, and you are good to go. I generally keep the pools partway in the shade depending on the weather and temperatures outside. Be careful! They can easily over heat and die in the summer sun. Use a thermometer to check the temps in the sunning enclosure, and make sure there is ALWAYS some shade. A baby tortoise can over heat and die in minutes in full sun. I position my baby sunning enclosures so that as the sun moves they end up in full shade, rather than full sun.