How Many of You on TFO have found Your Tortoises on Their Backs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
Mine sometimes flip over,
For a tort to die on it's back can take anything up to 2 days to die, in the shade, in full sun I would say hours.

It's so scary

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Last winter, I found my little indian star upside down and dead. I last checked them at 2am all fine, at 6am dead. I don't think it takes nearly as long as people think.

LeroyLeft

5 Year Member
ct
My two R.F. are outside most of the time ,but at night I still bring them inside,they both are climbers and I do find at lest one of them climbing their log hide then falling off,most times Iam there. it is kinda funny seeing the upside down turtle dance. but I do worry about them and right them imediatly,sometimes when they see me they get in hyper mode climbing on one another and flipping ,guessing they do love mazuri

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Several years ago, I had 3 hatchling Hermann's. They would flip over in their indoor tank all the time, at least one of them every other day. I lived in fear of finding one of them dead under the heat lamp. That summer, I moved the three into a small outdoor pen. One evening after work, one was dead, upside down in the center of the open flat dirt area.
The best prevention is probably lots of debris in the enclosure, or the crumpled paper towels some use. That way they can grab something with a foot to right themselves.
My outdoor pen now has very rough terrain, with lots of rocks, and precarious situations. I have noticed on a couple occasions a tortoise flipped, but they manage to right themselves. They aren't afraid of precarious situations either! Their kind of like goats, ungainly looking, but surprisingly sure-footed.

Steve

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I can't believe how many flip. :( Wow, good idea Steve, that sounds like it is a good idea and I'm going to be doing that very soon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.