How many times a day should I feed my tortoise and when is the best time to feed her

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
I usually feed mine in the morning once a day, enough so that he can eat all of it and have a bit left over. You may have to experiment a bit with how much you feed.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I put small, loose handfuls of weeds and grass in my torts enclosure first thing in the morning. I then get dressed, get breakfast ready for my daughter.
Give my tort a soak and then tidy up his enclosure. He goes back in. Every time he finishes all of the food, I give him more.

Bee62

Germany
Feed in the morning and so much that the tort can eat the whole day long. That`s what torts would do in the wild too: Eating the whole day long with short breaks and basking in the sun.

libscoot

minneapolis, MN
My Sheldon eats first thing in the morning. I set plenty out so he can eat all day long if he wants but... he pretty much wakes up, basks for a bit, runs for the greens, and doesn't touch them the rest of the day.

Bee62

Germany
My Sheldon eats first thing in the morning. I set plenty out so he can eat all day long if he wants but... he pretty much wakes up, basks for a bit, runs for the greens, and doesn't touch them the rest of the day.
My sullies eat the whole day trough with short breaks.:D

EdMurphy

Minnesota
hi, I would like to know how many times a day should I feed my tortoise and when is the best time to feed her? Thank you all.

I put a hand full of mixed greens in Lucy's dish about 6:45 in the morning before I go to work and she eats most of that through out the day. Then about 6 - 7pm she takes a 10 - 30 minute soak and she makes a beeline straight to the food dish after her soak and she puts down another handful before she heads to bed between 8-9pm.

kellygirl64

Upstate NY @ 90 miles left of NYC
I was giving the new rescued sulcata greens once a day (a big handful) but then saw that it was ok to feed more so now if he seems very active, I give a bit of greens (a smaller handful) and I'm up to three times daily. He eats every single bit of food, no matter how much I put in there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was giving the new rescued sulcata greens once a day (a big handful) but then saw that it was ok to feed more so now if he seems very active, I give a bit of greens (a smaller handful) and I'm up to three times daily. He eats every single bit of food, no matter how much I put in there.
I once wanted to see just how much a sulcata could eat. I had two 12" and one 10" sulcatas at the time and I went and bought a case of romaine. I gave a head to each tortoise and they devoured it. One more, same result. Same with the third round. I was afraid to do anymore, but they all walked away form head number three and went looking for grass to graze on.

It sound like you need to introduce more grass or grass hay to the diet. This can be done in many ways. Remind me what size sulcata you've got?

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
I put the food in the enclosure in the morning, and I have found that is wilts a lot less during the day if you spritz it with water when you first put it in. Also probably helps them get a tiny bit extra water.

kellygirl64

Upstate NY @ 90 miles left of NYC
I once wanted to see just how much a sulcata could eat. I had two 12" and one 10" sulcatas at the time and I went and bought a case of romaine. I gave a head to each tortoise and they devoured it. One more, same result. Same with the third round. I was afraid to do anymore, but they all walked away form head number three and went looking for grass to graze on.

It sound like you need to introduce more grass or grass hay to the diet. This can be done in many ways. Remind me what size sulcata you've got?
He's about the size of my fist. I've been researching diets and lamps and I have questions for you but it's hard figuring out where each question should go under the forum categories LOL I've made lists though and I'm ready to ask. Just got here. Thanks !!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He's about the size of my fist. I've been researching diets and lamps and I have questions for you but it's hard figuring out where each question should go under the forum categories LOL I've made lists though and I'm ready to ask. Just got here. Thanks !!
You can just start a thread in General Tortoise discussion, or in the sulcata section. Don't be too concerned about getting your thread in the right section. Also, mods can move it for you if ever there is some compelling reason to do so.

For a small tortoise you can introduce grass by cutting some freshly sprouted young grass on top of the pile of food for the day and mixing it all in. Start with just a little bit for the first week or two. They sell little plots of sprouted wheat grass at pet stores and some grocery stores that you can use for this too. Keep it watered and in a window sill and you can get 8 or 9 cuttings per plot.

You can also get blended grass hay pellets that are made for horses and soak them until they break up and mix a little of that in too. Be sure the pellets are just grass hay and nothing else. Fine to use timothy, orchard or bermuda grass hay.

Babies need to eat a lot. Feed a large pile every day.

Here are more ideas:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
What kind of tortoise is she, and what's her age?

I usually put food out for my Greek tortoise (who is only 6 months old) in the morning, roughly one hour after he wakes up (he wakes up at 10am). He will bask for one hour post-wake, then I soak him for a minimum of 20 minutes. He will usually drink some water and empty himself during that time and start into his food at 1pm. He'll eat, then bask, then sleep, and maybe eat a little bit more, but usually not. I take him out for some sunlight and exercise at 2-2:30pm for a minimum of 20 minutes each day, where he will explore, eat some of the weeds, and forage and move around. I take him in afterwards, where he will usually start moving towards his favorite sleep spot and sleep for the day (around 4-4:30pm).