How many times should i feed my baby star tortoise ?

Diya

5 Year Member
Hello every1..

I bought a pair of baby star tortoise before 15 days.. I have a query that how many times should i feed them. Right now i feed them twice a day, morning and night is dat ok ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Twice a day is great.

How are you housing them? Dry? Wet? Hopefully warm.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Mine looks for food twice a day, most days. So I feed morning and evening.

Diya

5 Year Member
Hi.. Thanks every1 for the reply, but mine are asking for food in the evening also. so i feed them thrice a day. Is dat ok? Please guide.

Diya

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Hello and welcome. Twice a day is great.

How are you housing them? Dry? Wet? Hopefully warm.

Hi Tom, i have an indoor arrangement for my torts. I have kept them on coconut coir substact. hope dats ok?

Diya

5 Year Member
Hi.. Thanks every1 for the reply, but mine are asking for food in the evening also. so i feed them thrice a day. Is dat ok? Please guide.

Diya

5 Year Member
My tort eats lot of cucumber.. Is dat OK ? Please guide on the same.

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
A cucumber is 96% water and very little nutrition. I feed my star twice a day, greens in the morning and Mazuri in the evening

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Mine loves cucumber too. So do I. It has amazing anti inflammatory properties. They get it only a couple times per week, and only a teensy bit chopped finely and mixed or spread over their salad (think dressing). I think the smell attracts them. They eat every bite when cukes are mixed in.

Diya

5 Year Member
Yeah. Can i give them lettuce or cabbage ?

AnnV said:
Mine loves cucumber too. So do I. It has amazing anti inflammatory properties. They get it only a couple times per week, and only a teensy bit chopped finely and mixed or spread over their salad (think dressing). I think the smell attracts them. They eat every bite when cukes are mixed in.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Hi Diya, How old are your Stars??? If you can get Mazuri, only give it to them as a treat...maybe once or twice a week, and just a little bit. Cabbage is not good for stars if I remember...it is not on my list for my stars. I also feed twice a day, but sometimes I will add more...they always seem to want to eat! & they watch me when I am in the kitchen...

~C

Diya

5 Year Member
Hey,

My torts are i guess 3 - 4 months old.

CLMoss said:
Hi Diya, How old are your Stars??? If you can get Mazuri, only give it to them as a treat...maybe once or twice a week, and just a little bit. Cabbage is not good for stars if I remember...it is not on my list for my stars. I also feed twice a day, but sometimes I will add more...they always seem to want to eat! & they watch me when I am in the kitchen...

~C

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
It is important that they eat and grow. You have very young Stars. Buy a scale (gram) and start taking stats on their weight gain. All they should be doing right now is; eating, pooping and basking (soak in warm water before breakfast). Twice a day is fine (food), but you can give them extra snacks as well.

Diya

5 Year Member
Thanks.. My size of tort is exactly the same you have in your profile pic. Problem is that they eat mostly cucumber only. Don't know what to do.

Diya

5 Year Member
Hey,,

Even i gave them cucumber spreaded all over salad, so now they are eating other things as well.. I think you are right, cucumber smell attracts them.

AnnV said:

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Can you get Opuntia cactus pads (remove spines) or aloe. This is good too, if you chop it finely and mix in. Anything you feed at this point should be chopped tiny and mixed well. The aloe and cactus are sticky once chopped. Once mixed with the other greens, they cannot separate it and they eat it all.

Diya

5 Year Member
Ok. You mean aloe vera right ? i have aloe vera plant, will give them for sure.

AnnV said:
Can you get Opuntia cactus pads (remove spines) or aloe. This is good too, if you chop it finely and mix in. Anything you feed at this point should be chopped tiny and mixed well. The aloe and cactus are sticky once chopped. Once mixed with the other greens, they cannot separate it and they eat it all.