How many times should i feed my baby star tortoise ?

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
SWFL

Diya

5 Year Member
Hello every1,

Can i feed gherkin to my tortoise ? I gave them once, and they really liked it. Please suggest.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Diya said:
Hello every1,

Can i feed gherkin to my tortoise ? I gave them once, and they really liked it. Please suggest.

you mean cucumber (kheera) right?..... then yes but not regularly or as staple because it has 95 % water and 5 % nutrition....

Diya

5 Year Member
Hi Shanu,

No not cucumber, its also known as ivy gourd.

shanu303 said:
Diya said:
Hello every1,

you mean cucumber (kheera) right?..... then yes but not regularly or as staple because it has 95 % water and 5 % nutrition....

It is also known as tindora.

Please suggest on this.

Diya said:
Hi Shanu,

No not cucumber, its also known as ivy gourd.

shanu303 said:
Diya said:
Hello every1,

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Not sure of the translation. Maybe a picture would help.

Diya

5 Year Member

Honeymomo

5 Year Member
Yes i give mine In order of thier liking 1. And 2. Bieng staple and most favorite
1. Exiotic lettuce ( from hypercity)
2. Lady finger
3. Coriander leaves and stem
4. Tendli
5. Methi leaves (fenugreek)
6. Chowli leaves
7. Cucumber(once a week)
8. Tomato (once a week)
9. Papdi (once in 2 weeks)
10. Carrot fine chopped (occasional)
11. Radish leaves ( occasional)

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
@ Diya, you can feed tinda but not as staple.... in moderation like twice or thrice a week will do....

Diya

5 Year Member
Ok. Thanks shanu,

What should be their staple diet then ?

shanu303 said:
@ Diya, you can feed tinda but not as staple.... in moderation like twice or thrice a week will do....

Hi Honeymomo,

Mine are not eating coriander leaves. And do they eat lady finger ? And i fed them little cucumber everyday, as they like a lott, hope dat's ok?

Honeymomo said:
Yes i give mine In order of thier liking 1. And 2. Bieng staple and most favorite
1. Exiotic lettuce ( from hypercity)
2. Lady finger
3. Coriander leaves and stem
4. Tendli
5. Methi leaves (fenugreek)
6. Chowli leaves
7. Cucumber(once a week)
8. Tomato (once a week)
9. Papdi (once in 2 weeks)
10. Carrot fine chopped (occasional)
11. Radish leaves ( occasional)

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Diya said:
Ok. Thanks shanu,

shanu303 said:

hibiscus flower and leaves,
coriander,
methi,
carrot top/greens
radish greens
grass,

Diya

5 Year Member
Ok. Thanks shanu.

shanu303 said:
Diya said:
Ok. Thanks shanu,

shanu303 said:

hibiscus flower and leaves,
coriander,
methi,
carrot top/greens
radish greens
grass,

Diya

5 Year Member
Hello every1,

Hope you all are dng good..

My baby tortoise sleeps a lot. I want to know that is that normal ? They sleep for almost 18 - 19 hrs. They are very young, may be 2 - 3 months old.

Please suggest on this.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Diya said:
Hello every1,

My baby tortoise sleeps a lot. I want to know that is that normal ? They sleep for almost 18 - 19 hrs. They are very young, may be 2 - 3 months old.

Please suggest on this.

i think there are two reasons to them sleeping for long.......
first the usual one is that they are very young.... in the wild the young sleep a lot to avoid predation.....

second, winter is already here in India...... so unless you are providing right amount of heat they are not going to be active...... mine also sleep a lot.... they wake up around 11:00 am when i give them a warm soak and put them in sunlight..... then when the sun is down around 6:30pm they go to sleep so i tuck them in warm woollen clothes and ensure that the room temperature is not too cold..... i myself have not been able to find CHE(ceramic heat emitter) not even on ebay......

Diya

5 Year Member
Yeah may be, but even when there is sunlight, they are sleeping.. So i think as you said they are very young that's the reason may be.

shanu303 said:
Diya said:
Hello every1,

Please suggest on this.

i think there are two reasons to them sleeping for long.......
first the usual one is that they are very young.... in the wild the young sleep a lot to avoid predation.....

second, winter is already here in India...... so unless you are providing right amount of heat they are not going to be active...... mine also sleep a lot.... they wake up around 11:00 am when i give them a warm soak and put them in sunlight..... then when the sun is down around 6:30pm they go to sleep so i tuck them in warm woollen clothes and ensure that the room temperature is not too cold..... i myself have not been able to find CHE(ceramic heat emitter) not even on ebay......

arotester

5 Year Member
Diya said:
Yeah may be, but even when there is sunlight, they are sleeping.. So i think as you said they are very young that's the reason may be.

Diya said:
Hello every1,

Please suggest on this.

i
[/quote]

It's natural for babies to sleep that long.If they are eating well and if they are active then there's no need to worry.
If they are not doing so then there's something wrong with the routine or habitat.