1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

How many tortoises get seriously ill or die as a result of eating "bad" weeds?

Discussion in 'Debatable Topics' started by RosemaryDW, Jul 11, 2017.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. tortoisenana

tortoisenana Member

Location (City and/or State):
    San Antonio, Texas
    Maybe I'm just jaded but if a tobacco plant is not good for my tortoise how could I ever believe that it wouldn't be harmful to me? Just saying.
  2. Big Charlie

Big Charlie Well-Known Member

California
    That's why I don't eat iceberg lettuce. When I first got guinea pigs, I was told to never feed them iceberg lettuce, as it is grown with tons of chemicals.
  3. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

Southern California
    There are many different types of "tobacco" plants. The ones used for cigarettes are different than the ones referred to in the post you quoted.

The thing that always gets me about intentionally inhaling the smoke from a burning dried plant leaf, is when you see on the news how people frequently die of smoke inhalation in fires. Why anyone would want to intentionally inhale any smoke is beyond me.
  4. Wolfpackin

Wolfpackin Member

Colorado
    Well...if you believe the advertising..."Addiction IS a disease".
  5. TurtleDream

TurtleDream New Member

California
    I agree with you better safe than sorry, and some of the alarm for us newly caring for tortoises is the confusion on information. Too much is at least enough to read and find out some things. Figure out what learning and a bit of our own common sense can tell us. But like here it says never feed morning glory and wisteria to name a couple but on AZ Exotic Animal Hospital site it says safe to feed tortoises wisteria flowers, and entire plant for morning glory.

That's when it starts getting alarming. What if someone goes just to AZ Exotic, and never has any alarm bells about others saying never feed these as they are toxic and contain wisterin for wisteria and whatever morning glory has? A lot of research is key, and the why's you offer are important, since no one ever says why something is safe. Knowing why something isn't thought to be safe means being able to investigate further and figure out more about that info on AZ Reptile Hospital, & maybe see it's questionable for some of it's content as being too general for multiple reptile species possibly. Just guessing, but my tort ate wisteria two days in a row and went after new growth leaves wildly. Now it's put up on the trellis and hopefully we're no worse for it. Smiles!
  6. Ketta

Ketta Active Member

Venezuela
    By Pothos Ivy you mean poison Ivy is it the same?
  7. Big Charlie

Big Charlie Well-Known Member

California
    No, it isn't the same. Pothos is a common house plant, also called Devil's Ivy.
  8. Ketta

Ketta Active Member

Venezuela
    oh ok! They look similar tho,
  9. TurtleDream

TurtleDream New Member

California
    iNot sure what you are asking is that true about. True AZ Reptile site says lots of things are safe for tortoises (it's the longest safe list I've ever seen) that others say don't ever feed. Tortoise Eating lots of Wisteria plant for 2 days with no effect did happen also. I too have been researching oxalates, and have found broccoli, cauliflowers, swiss chard, Bok choy, Iceberg lettuce, Sweet Potatoes, Sprouts of any kind, Corn, Cucumbers, Beet Greens ,spinach and other dark leafy greens and most all fruits have loads of oxalates.

The only ones and the best for us regularly really that are low in oxalates are all lettuces basically(not iceburg), mustard greens, kale, and collard greens. Though again, some put kale on the list as high in oxalates but supposedly they only contain 17mg. compared to spinach which is off the charts. They warn about it for people too and say only eat these about two times a week and there's no worries.

The binding of minerals and calcium means the body is robbed of these needed nutrients and cannot absorb them, and for tortoises the grasses and these other safe green with only little once or twice a week of the others ensures their nutrients are their rewards and not their problem. Sounds sensible to me. Thanks for sharing that iceburg is often grown with lots of chemicals. Red leaf lettuce is high on the list as the best for people and pets with low oxalates. Happy day