How much dandelion can a Greek eat?

Location (City and/or State)
Abu Dhabi
So my new Graeca Terrestris was picked up from one of those places, you know, the "oh just give it lettuce and water, that's all it needs" mentality. I assume the only reason she was still healthy when i got her was because it was a relatively new batch of torts. Anyways, last night she got her first taste of delicious, succulent, calcium-rich dandelion leaves.

She absolutely loved them.

She ate 9 or 10 leaves straight out of my fingers, that's how much she loved them. But that brings up the question: can i offer dandelions that frequently? She ate a similar amount this morning, but can I continue to offer dandelion as a staple?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Dandelion can be fed in moderation so they shouldn't be the only thing fed. However, they are seasonal, so there willbe months when they are harder to find anyway. If he loves the leaves then try him on the flowers :D

The Tortoise Table says
Dandelions are a firm favourite with tortoises, and although they can be quite high in oxalates (with the older leaves having the highest content), and they also have mild diuretic properties, it is perfectly safe to feed them as part of a wider, varied diet.

Large quantities of dandelions can temporarily turn urine a pink colour.
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=5&c=6#.XAt5qLGnwn4

That warning about pink pee is worth reinforcing - it isn't harmful, but it can be a little alarming if you aren't expecting it!

The Tortoise Table Plant Database has a great search facility which enables you to look up any plant for suitability. Not only does it tell you whether something can be fed, but it also tells you why and how often, so bookmark it. It works for weeds, garden plants and stuff you buy in a grocery store :)

Abu Dhabi
P.S i cannot overstate my thanks. Pet store diet advice is appalling. Then again, if the owner refers to all of his tort species as "land turtles", then you don't expect him to offer advice better than "feed it vegetables", but still. Anyways, thanks again for the link!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
No problem. Pet stores rarely have anyone that knows anything about tortoises. In fact most vets are ignorant too. Some people on this forum have decades of experience. It pays to check the reputation of the person giving the advice even on here though.