How much do I feed my red foot?

George red foot

5 Year Member
My red foot (George) will eat everything I put down as soon as I put it down, is he just being greedy or is he not being fed enough? How many times a day should I feed him? He's 6 years old.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
does he eat it quickly? if he's eating it quickly might be best to offer a little more

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
You should only really need to feed once in the mornings. How much do you feed and what foods do you give him?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I feed as much as they want . I make sure they have all they can eat . Tortoises graze all day .

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I feed as much as they want . I make sure they have all they can eat . Tortoises graze all day .

Mike, I would agree with you on this but.. My reds could eat 2 lbs of Mazuri each, everyday if I let them (okay, so I've never actually tried this but you get what I'm sayin, right?). My point is, I agree with feeding as much as they want but as long as it's the healthy stuff (dark leafy greens, weeds, leaves). I'm sure that's what you meant but I just wanted there to be no confusion.

George red foot

5 Year Member
I feed him once a day, usually a big pile of leafy greens! Should I feed him more than once a day then? As soon as I put the food in he runs straight over and eats it all! I give him quite a big pile of greens, so I'm not sure if he's just greedy or he's still hungry

Whayla

My red foot gets fed once in the morning and once at lunch time. Usually in the morning she will devour anything in her dish, but at lunch she will either eat all of the food, half, or none at all. I enjoy feeding her this way because it allows her to graze when she feels like she needs an extra bite to eat, has a more "natural" vibe, and gives her time between feedings to digest a bit and decide if she is full or not.

I've always wondered if this is a good method, because I have heard a lot of controversy about overfeeding and the consequences associated with it. Is feeding once better and why is that so? I feed dark leafy greens, cactus, flowers + assorted veggies and fruits depending on the day.

How much food is TOO much food? Is it dependent on size, weight, or age?